Opinions on chlorine tablets?

dombavetta

May 28, 2021
Illinois
Pool Size
I have quite a few Clorox chlorine pucks/tablets, along with the chlorine these also include stabilizer. What are your thoughts on the usage of these, how quickly would I expect my CYA levels to rise with consistent use? These seem like they are great for maintaining your chlorine levels but I worry that my CYA levels will spike since that stuff doesn't burn up like the chlorine.

Additional question, my chlorine levels are a bit high right now (7-10ppm) as I was trying to clear up a bit of cloudiness. The water is clear now but the levels are still high, is it safe to swim in these conditions? I imagine my skin is not going to burn off but is there any potential that swim wear might get a bleached?

Need to know your exact numbers, but in a 10k pool, 1lb (2 pucks usually) of trichlor add FC of 11 and CYA of 7. Even if you start off at 0 CYA, you can see how quickly you will get to 50+ just by using pucks.

I swim in mine all the time with a FC of 7 and CYA of 70. Look at the FC/CYA chart in my signature and you are safe to swim as long as you are below SLAM level. Of course step 1 is knowing your current CYA.

@clambert1273 @JJ_Tex numbers are as follows, I have a 4400 gallon pool and was only planning to use one puck at a time.

I just added a bit more chlorine to close off my clarifying process, I calculated the amount to increased the FC level by 2ppm. (this is why I expect my FC numbers to be around 9-10 after it gets fully circulated).

Hardness: 250
TC: 7
FC: 7
PH: 7.2
Alkalinity: 120
CYA: 50

It is safe to swim at fc levels between min & slam for your cya according to the FC/CYA Levelsas stated above.
PoolMath effects of adding can help you determine what each puck will do to your water as far as fc, cya, & ph are concerned.
Most pucks are about 8oz.
It’s best to just use them for vacations vs daily chlorination because of the cya build up as well as their acidic effects.

So your CYA is already borderline high at 50, and each pound of trichlor will raise your CYA by another 15. I would not use any more pucks and save them for when you are out of town and cannot add liquid chlorine.

The alternative would be to plan on frequent water exchanges/partial drains to keep your CYA in check. That may be feasible in a pool your size, assuming water is cheap and you have a good way to safely drain/refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.