Opinion on 6 to 1 pool slope?

GrandLSU

May 14, 2020
Baton Rouge, LA
Is a 6 to 1 pool depth slope too steep to comfortably walk up and down, and to just hang out and stand on?

In a portion of my pool that I am planning, I am considering making the depth of the pool go from 3.5 feet deep to 5.5 feet deep over a horizontal distance of 12 feet (i.e. a 6 to 1 slope). I want to make sure though that this 6 to 1 slope area will actually be usable space that people will be comfortable walking up and down and hanging out on, as opposed to an uncomfortably steep transition slope that ends up being essentially wasted space.

HermanTX

Gold Supporter
May 20, 2020
Katy TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have about 25ft of usable pool length (excludes step and seats) and it goes from 3.5 to 5.5 to 4.0 ft in depths. I did a rough measurement from the steps to the deep end (actually the center of the pool) which is right at 11 to 12ft lengthwise. So that about matches to your plan. I do not have any concerns on the slope and find it all usable. Now my deepest part (5.5 ft) is only about 18inches in length at most (Width of drains plus a little more). hope this helps.

Reactions: GrandLSU

JJ_Tex

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Seems reasonable, but you can also make the shallow end a few inches deeper. Nobody will mind the shallow end being 3'9" instead of 3'5" since most of the adults seem to gravitate to the 4' to 4.5' sections anyways.

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
True, though that safety regulation aspect is for hitting your head as you resurface from a dive, not standing comfortably or safely. But I too feel that slope is fine to stand on. There is little gravity in a pool to pull you down a slope.