opening tomorrow and I think we have a leak. UPDATE: it's open. Do I SLAM this?

EmilyOTR

Bronze Supporter
Feb 15, 2017
Ferndale, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So we have the pool store open and close our pool. They came out today to start draining the cover and put the hose in. around 12:00 I noticed the cover was mostly drained and it looks like there is barely any water in the pool. I checked the picture from October when we closed and the water level was significantly higher, plus the hose has been in since 8am. Does anyone know what this could be? Could they have messed up closing it? They are coming to open tomorrow and they said the openers will let them know if there is an issue. any idea what I might need to expect?

At closing, maybe they did a sweep/vacuuming of the pool which might have torn the liner down low? Other than that, I can't see where the closing process would do anything. But if you have a drain, someone might need to check the hydrostatic valve to ensure it didn't get some junk in it preventing it from closing properly.

the liner? do you mean the cover? I don't have a liner, just plaster.
Sorry no, I meant liner but must've been thinking of two pools at once. :crazy:. One less thing to worry about. That should leave the drain's hydrostatic valve. Hopefully that's it.

well I have a new theory now, my cover which was mostly drained around noon, has quite a bit of water again. I think my fill water is ending up on the cover, as the pool isn't getting any higher. So I think there's a hole in the cover somewhere, but that wouldn't really explain the extremely low water level....

well I have a new theory now, my cover which was mostly drained around noon, has quite a bit of water again. I think my fill water is ending up on the cover, as the pool isn't getting any higher. So I think there's a hole in the cover somewhere, but that wouldn't really explain the extremely low water level....
Yeah, earlier I was going to say something about the cover and its pump as sometimes people loose pool water when the cover pump pulls it out. But then you mentioned the pool itself being low even after having the cover off and hose in there for several hours.

Check the waste line on the multiport valve for your filter and make sure its is not leaking water. Do you have a main drain in the floor of the pool? Any current pictures of the pool, cover, and equipment pad would help.

I do have a main drain in the floor. I will post some pictures here for you of my pool/cover and equipment.
earlier today
MKqhrsW%RsSnlY0CNxXgpg.jpg

a few minutes ago - I think there is MORE water on the cover. and I don't think the pool is filling.
5ziPO3qGSKOSJxVdJ7R17Q.jpg

Equipment pad
j1EDY824QjGJdfWijv8Dnw.jpg

I didn't think it looked low before the cover was drained, no, but it had a lot of water, so I think maybe I couldn't tell. Last night they had us shut off the pump and water. here it is this morning. tons of water!QaPCPIjXTFerPqgtHT24tQ.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The cover floats on the surface of the pool. If there is a hole in the cover the cover pump will pump the water out of the pool, and the cover will sink as much as the anchors will allow it to sink. I would get all the leaves and junk off the cover, pull it out of the pool and inspect it for holes. It is unlikely a leak in your plaster shell would cause water to build up on top of the pool cover.

+1. Even waterproof tarps are woven. A rip or tear is possible if the material is healthy, or the weaves have just pulled apart enough to allow water to pass through. Scoop as much of the solids as you can and SLAM Process when most of the mucky water makes it into the pool.

well they are coming to open it today so we will see. So you think we pumped that much water OUT of the pool to make it this low?

Yes. It has happened many times before. You could always have a leak too..... but first things first, Remove the most common cause of your issue. :)

thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed its just the cover. We've had it for 3 years so that would be a huge bummer, but a lot better than a leak. Good news, right now the pump has pumped off most of the water off the cover, so I think they can get it off without any Crud going into the pool (besides what already has...)

Reactions: Newdude
they are here, they found a big hole in the cover as they are removing the leaves. So, hopefully the pool isn't too disgusting once the cover comes off. and hopefully that means my pool doesn't have a leak!

Covers are very expensive when they have the word ‘pool’ on the package label. Most people use the cheapest tarp they can find and consider it disposable. If it lasts a 2nd year it’s gravy. :)

OMG. it's awful. I generally open to beautiful clear water. it's green and the walls are all stained. I did have some staining once in a much smaller way, but chlorine cleared it right up. the guy said he thought it would need acid washed but was calling his boss. I said I think chlorine will clear it.

jYSVyna4SV6gCWnUENb85Q.jpgnqp1w0WPQx2HIwRA4mXoww.jpg

Ok, they poured some chlorine on the wall and it lightened considerably. good news! Next question since I've always opened up to clear blue water, since this is green, do I SLAM? It's VERY clear, not swampy at all. just light green.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.