Opening pool myself for first time

OK -- start 20 ppm CYA powder dissolving using the sock method. Lower your pH to 7.2

Assume you have 30 ppm CYA in the water and start the SLAM Process using FC of 12ppm.

Ok I'm not familiar with he sock method but I'll look that up.

The water has been very clear for the last 3 days as I've been adding about 4-5ppm of chlorine each night. What is reason you recommend starting the slam process from beginning? Does the CYA level have to be higher before moving to next step? At what point do I get the SWCG going?

Thanks for the help!!

SLAM process does not start until you can test FC and CYA.

Once you pass the three criteria shown in SLAM Process you will move on to using your SWCG.

Start the chlorine now.

You can pour it down the drain or if you are outside in a rocky area or wherever. It is relatively harmless.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First, add a little muriatic acid to get the pH down to 7.2. Then add enough CYA to get to 30ppm. Then start the SLAM Process. Add enough FC to get to 12ppm of liquid chlorine. Test frequently, as often as you can, at least 3-4 times a day but up to once every 30 minutes, and add enough FC to get to 12 each time you do. No need to test anything but FC (and CC if you want since you’re halfway there with the FC test) during the SLAM, though after about 24 hours of the CYA being added you could check that again to make sure you’re at the right FC levels.

Run the pump continuously during the SLAM. Also when you test, use 10ml of pool water and one heaping scoop of powder. Each drop is 0.5ppm. You will save a lot of reagent this way.

I've got past the slam process and now have the SWCG running at 40%. I still have pump on continuously and the FC keeps getting to high - higher than 6. How do I how long to keep the pump running and what percentage to set the SWCG to maintain the proper amount of FC

You passed all three criteria for the SLAM Process? Great.

Now follow the FC/CYA Levels for your CYA. Adjust pump run time and/or SWCG % setting to attain a balance on FC used vs generated. I suggest you set your SWCG to generate 3 ppm FC per day and see how that goes.

How often should I need to fill my pool’s water level. I like to keep it about 1/2 to 3:4 to the top of the skimmer. It seems after a couple of days the water gets pretty low and I fill it up with the hose. Is there an expected rate of loss depending on the temperature and/or other things?

How often should I need to fill my pool’s water level. I like to keep it about 1/2 to 3:4 to the top of the skimmer. It seems after a couple of days the water gets pretty low and I fill it up with the hose. Is there an expected rate of loss depending on the temperature and/or other things?
Wind really accelerates evaporation, way more than temperature. I can lose 1/2" in a day when we have strong winds.

If you suspect a leak, do a bucket test. The search box will have hundreds of threads on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.