Opening pool - How important is pH level before SLAM?

Colymbus

Bronze Supporter
Aug 10, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Hello. WEIRD spring weather this year had us opening pool a little later than usual. Water was a clear green (better than cloudy green ;)) with some detritus and TADPOLES of all things! Currently have the filter and auto-vac running due to downpouring of rain, but I did manage to do some testing in anticipation of SLAM:

FC: 0
pH: 7.2
TA: 70
CH: 130
CYA: 10

My question is this; do I need to worry about raising the pH or adjusting anything else before the SLAM? I know CYA is very low, but I ran out of reagent today (oops) so I can't test again until order arrives next week-ish so I wasn't going to bother adding stabilizer until after the SLAM. Still vacuuming and brushing inbetween the torrents so I have time to correct certain chemicals before I start adding the shock if needed. I will be going from the SLAM to a brand new SWG which ideally wants a higher pH to run (7.5).

Any guidance appreciated.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
A ph of 7.2 is what is recommended for following the SLAM Process

You do want 30 ppm of CYA in the water. Otherwise you lose FC to the sun very rapidly.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.