Opening Pool for First Time

Apr 6, 2018
Brookland/AR
I took the cover off of my pool a few weeks ago and began cleaning it before doing anything else. Last week, I was ready to check my levels because I kept getting a black algae on the bottom and floating on top. Other than that, the water is very clear. I took a sample to my local pool store to have it tested and get the chemicals they told me. My results can be seen below:

FC: 0
TC: 0
CC: 0
pH: 7.9
TA: 94
CH: 20
CA: 2
Saturation Index: -0.6
Endure: 0

I was told to treat by doing the following:
1. Add 2 lbs. pH Minus, wait 8 hours
2. Add 12 oz. algicide, and 1 lb. shock, wait 24 hrs.
3. Add 1 lb. shock, wait 8 hours
4. Add 5 lb. calcium, 5 times, with 8 hours between

I’ve followed those steps just to hopefully make some progress as I’ve decided that I want to test and manage things on my own without the pointless chemicals the pool store may try to get me to buy. I’ve bought the cheap HTH 6 Way Test Kit until the Taylor K-2006 comes in. The cheap test still shows I have low CA (less than 30) and low TC. Is there any recommendation on what to do next until my new test kit comes in? If I should SLAM first, according to the procedure I should first get my CYA up, then adjust FC, then adjust pH before starting since all are off in my case. Would that be the correct order and process?

Last edited:
I would definitely not worry about your calcium level because you have an above ground pool and you have added plenty of calcium for now. Wait and retest that later. Focus on clearing up your pool right now and clearing the algae.

You can add 1/2 gallon of bleach a day until the test kit come in.
How much calcium have you added? 5 lbs or 25lbs? don't add any more CH since you don't need it for your vinyl pool.
What type of algaecide did you use? Algaecide is not necessary when you keep your FC within the correct range per the FC/CYA Levels. No need to add anymore of that. Algaecide isn't very effective at killing algae already in the water, it is more of a preventive. Don't use any products with Copper in it.

I've only added 10 lbs. of the Calcium. Do I need to attempt to get my FC to the correct level before or after getting the CYA to the correct level? If I understand correctly, the CYA is what keeps the FC at the correct level and if CYA is at the correct level then wouldn't that make it harder to adjust the FC during the SLAM process?

You do not need any calcium with an AGP.

For a SLAM, you need at least 30 ppm CYA in the water, then follow the FC/CYA Levels for your SLAM level FC.
Do not start this process until you have your own proper test kit. You need it to get your current CYA level.

I have a SWCG. Is 30 okay for the CYA or should I get it up to 70 if possible? If 30 is okay, would I need to leave the SWCG off and raise FC to 12, or if 70 is what I need would I raise FC to 24? Does the SWCG need to be off either way?
You will stay at 30 for your SLAM with the SWCG OFF. Once you have finished the SLAM and met ALL CRITERIA to stop SLAMing, you can raise the CYA, check and adjust salt, turn on SWCG. You may also need to help out with adding some liquid chlorine to the pool while you fine tune your SWCG settings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.