Opening Pool.. CYA too low

Aug 5, 2016
Chandler, OK
Opening my pool because the weather is getting warmer and I am tired of looking at a green pond. I was lazy last fall and let it get green before I got it properly closed.

Today:
CYA is way under 30 (the dot was super clear)
PH is above 8.0

My local Atwoods does not have liquid shock in stock yet, but I will driving to another city to get about 40 gallons of it today or tomorrow (its 10% if I remember correctly). I understand the slam and had a very successful clear pool all of last summer. I am currently adding some water and know I need to get my PH down, and will be able to do that.

My question is this, is it alright to use the powdered shock to get my CYA up since I am needing to raise it and my Chlorine too? I know to use liquid chlorine, but this seems like it would be like a two for one just until the CYA is up to where it should be. I don't have anything on hand to raise my CYA, so that is where I am.

I am trying to keep my trips out to a minimum, so I am just looking for some guidance or advice.
This group has saved me several times, and my family loves our clear trouble free pool, and its all from following your advice.
Current pool pic attached.

Attachments

• 1_040120.jpg
    1_040120.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 54
You can use dichlor to raise both CYA and FC.

What is the cost and availability of fresh water? Would a large drain/refill be viable?

With a 0 CYA and high pH, did you test CC?
I would suggest doing the following once you get some liquid chlorine (and before adding any CYA containing products):
Raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC and CC. Report your results here.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Draining and refilling unfortunately is not very viable.
I tested FC and CC and both came back 0.

My plan now is:
  1. Get water level to normal
  2. Remove net and all leaves and debris from pool
  3. Drop PH to 7.4
  4. Add liquid Chlorine (about 2.5 gallons) to get FC to 10
  5. Circulate 15 minutes
  6. Test again and report back
CYA on hold until then. May be a day or two before I can get the chlorine.

UPDATE:
I bought 18 cases of liquid chlorine (Atwoods 1.99/gallon).
Put in 2.5 gallons, let circulate for about 20 minutes.

Updated numbers:
FC: 8
CC: 1
PH: still over 8

I added another half gallon of chlorine and will keep an eye on it to maintain slam levels.
Those numbers decent?

Thanks

Attachments

• 3_040220.jpg
    3_040220.jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 29
Great. That says ammonia is not your issue.
Lower your pH to 7.2. Start dissolving enough CYA to get to 30 ppm using the sock method. Raise your FC to 12 ppm and test and dose every couple hours.
You are on your way!

Update:
Got PH down to 7.2
Not sure what CYA is yet. I added enough to raise it 10ppm, but haven't checked it again yet. I seem to recall needing to wait a few days to see what it really is.
I had a year where I got it way to high, so I am just cautious now when bringing it up.

Its cold and rainy here today, the high is only 45 but I am continuing with the slam. Just added another gallon of chlorine to bring me back up to 10-12 FC.
Here is today's picture. Looks better. Will keep it up and keep posting pics with updates.

I love this system.

Attachments

• 4_040320.jpg
    4_040320.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: mknauss
Still doing the slam. I think I can maybe see a little improvement today. I think I can almost see the bottom when I’m brushing.
It will be warm enough to do a vacuum on the bottom tomorrow.

Attachments

• E3EE142D-8D77-482F-A788-1F55F9BD2BDA.jpeg
    E3EE142D-8D77-482F-A788-1F55F9BD2BDA.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 19
Today it looks worse. I added some more stabilizer, trying to get it up to at least 30. Spent most of the day vacuuming it pool. Removed close to 30 full baskets of debris. Spent another hour just brushing it. Hoping tomorrow it looks better. Felt like I fought it all day and it kicked my butt. It has maybe 6 inches of visibility.

Tomorrow will be another sunny day so I’ll try to work on it more.
FC: 12
CC: .5
CYA: 20ish
PH: Ignoring since FC is over 10.

Am I on track?

Attachments

• F132621F-6519-4913-8992-7C50E8BA1874.jpeg
    F132621F-6519-4913-8992-7C50E8BA1874.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 14
If you are removing solid debris that will help. As long as any solid debris is in the pool the SLAM will be extended a very long time. The chlorine will work on those organics. Instead of the algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water still isn't clear.
Spent hours the past two days vacuuming.
Monday I got 2 baskets of waste out (leaves and tumbleweeds).
Yesterday I got maybe a half basket. With not being able to see the bottom its just guess work.
I have also been brushing tons (little comes up) and skimming the bottom with a net (also rarely catches anything).
Yesterday I also checked my sand to make sure it wasn't clumpy. The hose just slid right in so it seems fine. I let it overflow for about 30 minutes too. A lot of little junk was coming up but I'm pretty sure the sand is still fine being as how it has only really run for 3 seasons now.

I brought my CYA up to 40. Could the stabilizer be making my water not clear? I put it in a sock and hung that sock in the pool until it dissolved.

I have been keeping FC a 16. I check about 4 times a day. I wont lie, I am very tempted to flock, but I keep holding out thinking it will clear.

FC: 16 (Check multiple times a day, I do usually round up, to the nearest half gallon).
CYA: 40
PH: 7.2 (At last check. Have not checked in days since I am SLAMMING).

Just keep going? I just added my 16th gallon of chlorine.
Super appreciate this group.

Added this morning's picture.

Attachments

• 8_040820.jpg
    8_040820.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 23
Your water will not clear until you have all the large organics removed from the pool. Sounds like you are close to getting it all and thus it will take several days for your sand filter to catch up. Have you considered using DE in your sand filter to accelerate the filtering of the fines?

I've looked at it, but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I did just order some skimmer socks, which will be here on Saturday.
Do you think the DE is worth it? Amazon has 25lbs for $26 but it will take 1-2 weeks for it to get here. Not sure where else I could get it right now.

I would wait on the DE.

Stop adding CYA. 30 was ideal.....40 is OK but still too much.

You are tap dancing around the SLAM process.......following some of it and winging some of it. Follow that article to a T and your pool will clear.

Your FC should be at 16 ppm and you should be bringing it to that 3 times daily or so.

Have you backwashed? What is your clean filter psi?

Following the SLAM article will clear your pool.

I did a backwash yesterday after I checked the sand. Let it run a full 5 minutes.
I was trying to be careful with the CYA, I was aiming for 30 but I it did go a little above it.
Just replaced the pressure gauge this season. It is running at 16.

I am trying to follow the process.
I do appreciate all the help and advise, you guys are great for providing it.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things......keep doing them.

Keep your FC up.....brush frequently (probably daily)........backwash if psi rises 25% or more, not before.

Stay the course. Reread the SLAM article....it is VERY specific

Well it finally cleared up. No FC loss the past two nights.
I ended up using some DE because the cloudiness seemed to stop clearing at one point.

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement, I managed to get to crystal clear water without flocking this year.
My slam is over, now just maintaining and giving my pump a much needed break.

The process does work. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 10_042820.jpg
    10_042820.jpg
    590.6 KB · Views: 31
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.
Support TFP!

Reactions: JessB412
I extended the slam an extra day, hoping to get just a little more clarity. Here is this mornings water picture.
This water looks amazing.

Side questions, is the TFP Store sill around? The gold support level mentions it, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Attachments

• 11_043020.jpg
    11_043020.jpg
    689.9 KB · Views: 24

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.