Opening numbers....am I doing this right?

Jul 17, 2012
Forest, VA
Ok so I opened my pool 2 days ago to find a quite lovely shade of green slime on the sides and bottom. I brushed as much as I could see. I added 16oz of 3% copper algaecide and ran the pump in recirculate for 18 hours. Pool is now mostly blue but very cloudy. I did my initial tests...
FC no surprise 0
CYA under 30
Alkalinity 50
pH above 8

With the CYA being below 30 I added 2x 1lb bags of dichlor shock in hopes to bring CYA up a little and get the FC up.
Also added 1/2 jug of muriatic acid to bring pH down and baking soda for the alkalinity.
Retested today and numbers are as follows:

FC 7.5
CC 0
CYA 55
pH 7.0-7.1
Alka 65

I will not add anymore dichlor seeing that my CYA is 55. I will only use clorox from now on.
I just added about a jug and a half of clorox ~150-160oz. per the math calc to bring FC to shock level of 20.

Am I headed in the right direction? Do I needed to flock the pool for the cloudiness or just let the filter take care of it?
Thanks in advance for the replies.
Tommy

Floc doesn't always work like you would expect it to.

You should be running your pump 24/7, and keeping your FC at appropriate SLAM levels until you can pass the OCLT. Clear water is one of the parameters for passing this.

Your filter will take care of the cloudiness, if you let it.

.does DPD powder go bad?
The test for whether it is bad or not is easy enough.

Assuming you have some chlorine in your pool, just put the powder (same quantity as always) in the test vial and stir/shake/spin. If it turns pink like it normally does, the powder is good.

It really kills my refill sales to admit but it is most always good for the two seasons that covers the guaranty.

I added 16oz of 3% copper algaecide

Since you asked if you are doing this right....
No, you did not need to add any copper to your pool.
It can be a preventative but if I have read pool school properly it is not an effective algae killer.
Copper can also cause staining and/or green hair issues.
Just need to keep it in mind in case you have any issues in the future and to discontinue use.

Copper Algaecides are not typically recommended around here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.