opened up ancient pool light

Jun 14, 2018
Long Island NY
I wanted to change the halogen bulb to a led for quite some time and since a partial drain/fill was needed, I pulled the light out. The lens says "American Products Company LG 5384" and my brief research indicates that Pentair bought this company. The gasket has "830404" on the inside. I suppose at some point the mounting ring was stainless steel but it turned blue. When I was brushing the pool walls I went over the light and the blue coating came off in a few spots and looked terrible. After I pulled the light out I cleaned the ring and now it looks even worse lol.

The closet thing I could find was on ebay

I do not want to change the hole fixture but I dont know what gasket to buy. Anyone know? I assume to blue coating came from the pool water so will the ring turn blue again or should I attempt to paint it with maybe some acrylic paint? I also see the newer lights all have a ring clamp to secure the lens/gasket as opposed to the individual swivels on my light

Probably time for a new light.
Perhaps in the future but right now after 2 partial drain / filll's to get my cya levels where they should be, my chemistry is just right and I don't have any intentions of dropping the water anymore. The old light is working fine with no signs of water or condensation inside the lens. I can only hope a new gasket will keep the old light as dry as the original. A cheap gasket is worth a try before shelling out money for a whole new light

You don't need to drop the water to replace the light.

For safety, I would replace the light. Any of the large style Pentair lights should fit the niche.

I think that this is the current version of the light.

Amerlite

I'm not sure, but I think that the part number for the gasket is 79101600 Gasket, 8-3/8 in. lens.

I think that the faceplate is chrome plated brass. It looks like the chrome has all worn off and the brass is exposed.

The turquoise color is probably the copper in the brass corroding.

You don't need to drop the water to replace the light.

For safety, I would replace the light. Any of the large style Pentair lights should fit the niche.

I think that this is the current version of the light.

Amerlite

I'm not sure, but I think that the part number for the gasket is 79101600 Gasket, 8-3/8 in. lens.

I think that the faceplate is chrome plated brass. It looks like the chrome has all worn off and the brass is exposed.

The turquoise color is probably the copper in the brass corroding.
I was thinking to replace the light fixture you would have to pull the wire out and run the new wire. Is it simply just cutting off the old light and splicing in the new connection?

You have to remove the old light and pull the new cord through. But, you can do it with the pool water at the normal level.

When you remove the old cord, tie a string to the cord so that you can use the string to pull the new cord through the conduit.

There should be some videos on YouTube that show the procedure.

You definitely can't splice a light cord.

I stopped by the pool store after making this post to see what they had for gaskets and they gave me the same gasket number that you supplied. I inquired about the procedure for installing a new light and the guy told me to pull the cord above the water and splice in the new cord and wrap it with electrical tape. I was like ?

Well for now I have the new gasket so I guess I can put it back together and throw it in a bucket of water to see if it is waterproof. Good thing I swapped out the old breaker last summer for GFCI

You can splice the cords together to pull the new cord through.

The cord from the light to the junction box has to be one piece.

You can use the splice method or the string method. If you use string, get the braided string and not the twisted string because the braided string is stronger.

Last edited:
Reactions: anthony21078

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Its been 2 almost 2 weeks and my ancient light is holding up with no signs of water leakage. I cleaned the ring with brasso and it looks much better. I was worried it would look rusted but that's not the case. Has a vintage look lol. Decided to go with this bulb from home depot and for the price it works great. All the led bulbs on Amazon at roughly triple the price.

26-Watt (250-Watt Equivalent) Daylight PAR38 LED Night Chaser Flood Light Bulb 1 Pack

Reactions: JodieM
Just make sure that bulb is rated for an enclosed fixture not all of them are. It didn't say so in the description which most do that are enclosure rated.

Reactions: PoolguyinCT
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.