Opened up 8 yr old cell for 1st time

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Our Compupool CPSC36 has toodled along well for 8+ years without once needing cleaning or work on it till this summer. Skippy and I couldn't decide whether to take a chance on a generic replacement cell or replace the entire device as Compupool is out of business or something. So we bit the bullet and took the chance on the replacement cell purchased thru saltwaterdiscount.dot.com

Well let me tell you!- an 8 year old SWG might as well be cemented together no matter what they claim comes apart easily! We struggled to open the shell and take it apart and actually resorted to a small squirt of carburator cleaner, multiple sized screwdrivers and a lot of ooomph here and there. I think it may be a good idea for folks with new SWGs to open up the device while fairly new and not corroded so they can see how to do it and perhaps keep the unions lubed?

Finally got the replacement cell in place and the salt gods were looking favorably on us and when we turned it on and chlorine gas was apparent in the cell! Yay!! And fingers crossed that this generic cell will last a few years.

So the moral of this story is ... get jiggy with your SWG cell before you *have* to, it will be easier to do.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: frogabog
Its a moot point now, but i bought a giant pair of channel lock pliers. I will never use them except for my unions on my pool equiptment but boy do they help. They are so big they almost look cartoonish.

Skippy had to use a strap wrench on the big unions.
He used a small amount of carburetor cleaner on the plastic shell cover and after it popped open we washed it off.
We made sure to use PoolLube on the gaskets and joint places.

I wish I *had* thought to take pics.... it was such a disaster compared to the pretty clip on Inyopools on how to remove the cell. They obviously were using a new non-weathered, non-used device.

Maddie :flower:

Get the pliers for future pool use. I too did it the hard way the first few years with strap wrenches. Half the time wet and slippery. Lost a lot of knuckle skin and said many a 4 letter word. I actually have 2 because I couldn’t find them last year and bought another. I knew darn well the minute I opened the new package that the old ones would magically appear. And they did. I’d give them to you but shipping would probably cost as much as new.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.