Opened to a pond, still cloudy and other problems...

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
My winter cover had a hole in it and we opened the pool 2 weeks ago to a pond with lots of frogs and green water. After all of the organic material was vacuumed and scooped out, I brought the pool water level up to where it is supposed to be and added the chemicals needed. I shocked it 3 times hoping that it would kill anything else that tried to start blooming. We still have cloudiness, but it is not improving. I shocked it again last night but was hoping this morning after running the pump all night it would be fairly clear, but it was not. Here are my current numbers:

TA: 50
PH: 7.2
Chlorine: 6.0 (post shock)
CYA: 70
Salt: 2150

Also, I have noticed that there are some floating things in the pool that kind of resembles soap, but its not really foamy. I read that it could be from air on the suction side. I have replaced the o-ring on the pump lid but it still appears that there is some bubbles in that basket. I am not sure what else to check.

Does the pool foam look like this:
20130417_175647.jpg

Just do what he did. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72930-Dark-Green-Pool

Or is it more like this:
377AF21B-5176-4A35-A910-7FB9E5D50992_zpsvciqrenm.jpg

Either way, the solution is a SLAM. It's like a shock but it is sustained for days. If you don't have the prerequisites, don't try it.

There are some bubbles coming out of the return jet but not anymore than there was last year. The pump basket isn't churning but there are lots of little bubbles but "a" bubble in the top as you mentioned. I replaced the o ring. Where are the drain plugs? There is one right near the basket on the pump but I thought this was a air pressure release?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's usually one or two drain plugs on the pump body. Look for your manual online and study the parts diagram, that will show you how many and where.

Tiny bubbles in the returns could be from the SWG. See if they go away when you shut the SWG off for a few minutes with the pump on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once I find the drain plugs, what do I need to look for with them?
They might have an O-ring, or they're tapered pipe plugs. The parts blowup will show an O-ring. Make sure it's there and the plug is snug with your finger. If it's a pipe thread (it may say something like "plug, 1/4" NPT") make sure it has some teflon tape on it and it's screwed in tight with a wrench.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.