Opened pool to yellow / mustard algae

kfinke

Aug 28, 2017
Cincinnati,OH
I was disappointed to say the least. While the pool was a nice shade of green, after a few hours I realized it was my old friend the mustard algae.
To recap -- I opened the pool Saturday. When I saw the algae I just assumed this was the normal thing many experience when opening the pool in the spring. I have a mesh cover that lets in a lot of light. So, I prepared to SLAM and took some tests.

CYA: < 30
pH: 7.6

I vacuumed to waste and did some brushing. I put a few pounds of CYA in socks in the skimmers and took the FC up to 12. Testing a few times a day, I kept a pretty good watch on the FC level. CC was never very much -- sometimes .5 or not measurable. FC drop seems to be reasonable. A couple of points in a few hours during the day. Surprisingly, not very much loss overnight.

It's been almost 6 days since it's been open. After a few days I took another CYA test and I was at 50. I've adjusted my FC level to 20. I also reread some posts on the SLAM and added some MA to bring pH down to 7.2. I've vacuumed to waste a second time and added some water. I brush every day.

The pool is now a shade of aqua. I still cannot see the drain in the deep end. I'm surprised by a few things:
  1. I would have thought I would see measurable CC. If there's clearly still algae in the pool, then why isn't there a measurable sign that the chlorine is destroying it?
  2. I'm surprised it's taken this long to get the pool just a few shades lighter.
  3. I'm surprised the mustard algae started this early. It's usually a thing I deal with at the end of the year.

I'm trying to stick to my guns and follow the teachings here. But, at this pace it will be days more before I could even consider myself finished with the SLAM. Another 24-48 hours at mustard shock level. I feel like their should be something else I should do. I was considering adding some DE into my sand filter.

Does anyone have any more advice? Or words of encouragement lol?

I would suspect that your CYA was at or right about 30 when you opened, which made your FC level of 12 too low to be truly effective against the algae.
I would agree with that statement. In addition, Your entire pool is full of algae - regular algae. I wouldn't get caught-up on it being MA which is generally not as common as most people think. Mustard Algae - Trouble Free Pool

I would recommend consistency with the SLAM Process process, FC maintenance, and physical brushing/inspection all around the pool. A properly chlorinated pool (even SLAM/Shock level) will respond accordingly. If it's not, it's usually that one or more of the tests were off and/or there is a place or two in the pool still harboring a good amount of algae. Do not add DE to your filter. There's no need for that at this point. But watch the filter gauge for the 25% increase so you know when to backwash. Only later, once the water is 98% clear, might you consider DE for some final enhancement. For algae, there is no substitute for chlorine.

I would suspect that your CYA was at or right about 30 when you opened, which made your FC level of 12 too low to be truly effective against the algae. If it is mustard algae doesn't it take a higher FC level?

I wasn't sure about the CYA. With the tube at 30, I could still see the dot. So, I started off assuming less that 30. After adding like 3lbs, the tube showed between 40 and 50 and my understanding is you round up.

I would agree with that statement. In addition, Your entire pool is full of algae - regular algae. I wouldn't get caught-up on it being MA which is generally not as common as most people think. Mustard Algae - Trouble Free Pool

I would recommend consistency with the SLAM Process process, FC maintenance, and physical brushing/inspection all around the pool. A properly chlorinated pool (even SLAM/Shock level) will respond accordingly. If it's not, it's usually that one or more of the tests were off and/or there is a place or two in the pool still harboring a good amount of algae. Do not add DE to your filter. There's no need for that at this point. But watch the filter gauge for the 25% increase so you know when to backwash. Only later, once the water is 98% clear, might you consider DE for some final enhancement. For algae, there is no substitute for chlorine.

Thanks! FWIW, I'm pretty confident it's Mustard Algae. I've fought it the last 3 years (my entire time that I've owned this pool). The previous owner said she used to see a yellow like algae and she'd treat it with Yellow Out and it would go away. Obviously, I started that way in 2017 until I discovered this place. In the article you linked to, there's a comparison with pollen. It definitely behaves like algae, not pollen. As I brush the pool, I see the all-too-familiar little cloud of yellow-brown "dust" fly off the bottom and suspend in the water.

None of the other equipment has been in the pool. No rafts or anything yet. I haven't even put the ladder in yet. I know everyone says to clean behind the pool light, but it's WAY TOO COLD to get in there and take out the lamp.

As for the filter, I thought I read that the DE would speed things up. Guess I read that wrong.

I used to deal with the swamp using a mesh safety cover. Ever since I switched to a solid traditional cover; I open to a clear pool. No more gallons and gallons of liquid shock, vacuuming to waste, constant brushing, and running the filter 24/7 until the water cleared.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.