Bought the Taylor test kit
Here are my levels
CYA 30-35 ppm
PH - so high couldn't register
FC - 0
Combined .4 PPM
Alkalinity 70ppm
Calcium 60ppm

Pool guy that opened dumped one bottle of shock and Algaecide a few days ago and we have scrubbed walls and vacuumed. I have tried the pool calculator but confused, please help

It is a saltwater pool and it is fibreglass. It is 11,339.85 gallons.

Thank you

Welcome! :wave:

I'm not so thrilled there's algaecide in there. I hope it wasn't Copper-based. Forget it for now; it works best as a preventative not as a cure in the same way that wiping a surface with Lysol stops the spread of germs but drinking it won't cure a cold.

Your test results aren't too bad, really. You don't have to drain and replace water. Be thankful for that.

Step one: adjust pH. If you're reading above 8.2, it could be much higher. So plug the numbers into pool math and add the acid it calls for (pump on and left running) to get to 7.4 and let it mix for half an hour, then retest pH and TA. If it shifted, great. If not, try again. Eventually it will move. Just to be sure, you're comparing colors and the pH is at the top of the scale? You're not confusing the test with another and adding drops after the initial 5?

Okay, so pH is 7.4 give or take. Now you grab the bleach. It will take a lot.

Step-by-step instructions are in the SLAM Process article. Just follow it.

If you need a little inspiration, check out Recovering my old inspirational links

Thank you so much. So after adjusting the PH we can test again in about 30 minutes or do you think it would be best to wait for overnight? Yes, we are looking and reading the SLAM method. This is so new to us and like another language. I am sure we will be laughing at all of this by August but now this is like learning another language!;)

Thank you so much. So after adjusting the PH we can test again in about 30 minutes or do you think it would be best to wait for overnight? Yes, we are looking and reading the SLAM method. This is so new to us and like another language. I am sure we will be laughing at all of this by August but now this is like learning another language!;)
If the pump is running and you make a few swipes with the brush to get things stirred up, 30 minutes is plenty. Remember that algae is growing as we type.

And it won't be August. You'll be one of us before June. Once you start doing and seeing the test results change, it will all start to make sense.

For now consider your pool a regular chlorine pool. You don't want any more CYA as it will only require more bleach. If your reading is 35 then call it 40, your slam level is 16ppm. When the water is cleaned up and looking good then you can raise the CYA and start the SWG.

You need to get your FC chlorine up to there and hold it until 1: the water is clear, 2: Combined chlorine is .5 or less, and 3: you can pass the overnight chlorine loss test. Filter runs 24-7 and backwash or clean the filter when pressure rises by 25%.

It may require testing and dosing a few times per hour in the beginning, as algae is killed the FC will begin to hold longer and you will be able to test less often. You will get a feel for how long.

You must keep the FC at SLAM level, if the algae isn't being killed then it's coming back and it grows very fast.

You say you have the Taylor test kit, is it the K-2006? If so, use the acid demand test and then use the back of the Taylor kit booklet to know how much acid to add.

Yes thank you we did that. Another question for all of you Slammers out there...how often to test the water once you slam? There are no specific timelimes on the website. We shocked at 1230pm..tested at 230pm..we are way above where we should be. We should be at 16 however we are at 24. Is there a guideline on how often to test while trying to maintain shock level? Thank you

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

how often to test the water once you slam?
Every pool is different. In the early stages of the SLAM, expect to test FC frequently - perhaps once an hour or so. If the FC is holding close to where you started, you'll see a pattern and can space it out. Conversely, if the FC takes a plunge, you know you need to test more frequently and add more bleach to maintain that FC. In time, the bleach will win over algae and you'll see a steady routine begin to take place. As for over-shooting the FC .. it happens. Just let it settle to your SLAM level and press-on. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.