One Year Old Pump Locked Up!

CCarter59

Apr 18, 2019
Loudon, TN
Our pool guy installed a new pump in April of last year. He came to open for the season yesterday and found the pump locked up due to corrosion. Says the old housing must have caused a leak and due to the amount of corrosion, pump won’t be covered under warranty. Suggests buying another new pump and housing unit. Is this just bad luck or did he miss something in the installation?

Most likely, the seal leaked and corroded the motor. If you rotate the shaft, it should break free fairly easily and the pump would work.

However, the seal is probably bad and the bearings in the motor will probably fail within the year.

If the service person felt that the front end of the pump was in poor condition, they should have recommended replacement.

Since they did the motor change only, the responsibility is theirs.

I would ask for a replacement under warranty.

If necessary, file a warranty claim with the motor manufacturer. Don't go into detail about what's wrong with the motor because you really don't know. Just document the replacement date and that the motor does not work now.

You tried to save some money by replacing just the motor versus the entire pump. Usually you win that bet and sometimes you lose.

Can the service person totally assess the condition of the rest of the pump and tell you how long it will last? Not really, it is a judgement call. It is not black or white he should have known.

You lost the bet on that motor replacement. An acceptable fix to me would be he replaces the pump and charges you his cost for the new pump. You get a new pump with manufacturers warrantee.

If the pump needs to be replaced, I can see paying for a new pump and installation, but I would want credit for the original motor replacement, parts and labor.

The service person can return the motor for a new motor under warranty. So, they're not out anything.

In any case, it's the service person's responsibility to recommend a new pump instead of replacing just the motor if they feel like it's the better decision.

I would try rotating the shaft from the back. It will probably break free and work just fine.

If the motor just hums when power is applied, it might just need a new capacitor.

What exact pump and motor do you have?

Do you have a picture of the pump?

Last edited:
For the record, we weren’t told we needed anything other than a new motor last year. We are new pool owners, having bought a house with an existing pool, so we are very reliant on our pool guy for guidance. Had he said we needed to replace the pump, we would have done so.

Reactions: tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I was in your spot I would ask the pool guy why wasn't the whole pump replaced, was the seal replaced, why is the seal leaking after you touched it, why didn't you notice the seal leaking. I would ask for a big price reduction on a new pump as he in my opinion dropped the ball, either something was wrong with the pump end and he didn't catch it or he installed the seal wrong, both are his fault. If no price reduction, ok, see ya later dude good luck with your business.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.