One Time deck stain anyone ever used it.

mike3554

Active member
Aug 6, 2010
28
Has anyone ever used a stain called One Time it is kind of expensive but supose to be really good and last at least 7 years. Just looking for some info from somebody that has used it before i spend a lot of money on something that turns out to be no good.
 

beartoothweb

Well-known member
Aug 28, 2009
188
mike3554 said:
Has anyone ever used a stain called One Time it is kind of expensive but supose to be really good and last at least 7 years. Just looking for some info from somebody that has used it before i spend a lot of money on something that turns out to be no good.
Where you do live? At our altitude and dryness, that 7 years would likely be 2. We usually seal yearly. I like Penofin for deck and fencing. That's what I'm putting on my new decks here. I just plan on resealing yearly.
 

mike3554

Active member
Aug 6, 2010
28
I live in alabama we dont have to worry about it being dry have to worry about the heat and humidity.
 

dorpo75

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 8, 2009
256
NE Ohio
I have just stained my deck with one time. Was it pricey? Yep, but if I get5+ years out of it I have saved money. I stained everything I had outside that was wood with the leftover product. Apply it when it is cooler outside as the sun makes the product cure and it becomes thick and doesn't go as far. I guess the test will be how it looks next spring. Right now, it looks great and I'm glad I spent the time and money on it.
 

beartoothweb

Well-known member
Aug 28, 2009
188
Dora said:
I have just stained my deck with one time. Was it pricey? Yep, but if I get5+ years out of it I have saved money. I stained everything I had outside that was wood with the leftover product. Apply it when it is cooler outside as the sun makes the product cure and it becomes thick and doesn't go as far. I guess the test will be how it looks next spring. Right now, it looks great and I'm glad I spent the time and money on it.
Any pics?
 
G

Guest

It sounds like they need to change the name to "One Time (Until the Next Time)" stain :roll:
 

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
3,734
NY
bk406 said:
Instead of spending time and money on stain, just build the deck out of Trex.
That's what I did, composite railings too :goodjob: Just spray it down with some bleach and water every 6 mo's and I'm done.
 

mike3554

Active member
Aug 6, 2010
28
One time is expensive but not nearly as expensive as Trex. If i could afford a 48x40 deck out of Trex i would have just built an in ground pool.
 

beartoothweb

Well-known member
Aug 28, 2009
188
mike3554 said:
One time is expensive but not nearly as expensive as Trex. If i could afford a 48x40 deck out of Trex i would have just built an in ground pool.
Same here...composites are 4x or more the cost of redwood. When I did the math, the deck material alone, not including structural was like $9000 (2 decks though). I just couldn't justify it.
 

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
3,734
NY
I hear ya...for me 24x18 deck it was about a $3K price diff in material (DIY), but i've sanded and stained my previous decks...NO THANKS

Anyway...I apologize for supporting the off topic discussion...back on topic.. I have used Sikkens stain with very good results...usually good for 2 seasons. Any stain that advertises 7+ years...may be true, but realistically mold/mildew will require you to powerwash or scrub deck wash at least annually regardless of material...no stain will hold up 7 years and look like it did year 1.
 

tbaum777

Member
Apr 21, 2011
10
I used the One Time (until next time) Lol.....put it on my deck 2 years ago.......LOVE IT.....pricey Yes....but worth it vs. sealing every year. I have 3 decks.....upper, lower, and one for hot tub top to sit level with top deck......I will use it again......whenever needed. It is totally different than any of the cheap ones.....cheap ones just sit on top and coats it.....this penetrates and hardens like a resin making it waterproof.....I did a LOT of research (as usual) before purchasing the 5 gallon bucket of honey colored liquid......keeps my deck looking like it was just built.....while my neighbors is all grey weathered looking......they have lots of colors and whoever carries it has free samples of each color.....I took a board and tried different colors but like the original color of it when built.
 
Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
Reed Kadavy Under Construction 2
danthedieselman75 Under Construction 1
W Everything Else 2

Other Threads of Interest