One month after I started TFP

alosito

Jun 24, 2019
Simi Valley, CA
I have been following the TFP method for the past few weeks, and I am satisfied with the water clarity that I was able to to achieve. The algae is totally gone, and the water is very clear. My pool maintenance activity includes the following:
- run the pool filter for a few hours daily
- run Dolphin Nautilus cleaner weekly
- use the leave rake on the water surface daily
- do all TF-100 tests weekly
- do TF-100 Safety Test daily
- add Chlorine when needed based on the Safety Test results to maintain its Cl indicator between 2.5 and 5

Even though I am satisfied with how clean my pool became, TF-100 tests indicate that everything is not that perfect. For the three weeks the weekly test results have been the following:

FC: 2.5
pH: 7.2
TA: 80
CYA: 60
CH: 300

Considering that the test results have been consistent, should I still try to increase FC to 5 and lower CYA to 50 in this situation? Again, the water clarity has been consistent and to my satisfaction.

No need to force the CYA to 50. Just raise the FC to follow the FC/CYA Levels

I would suggest using the FAS-DPD for most if not all your FC testing. The OTO yellow test is not suitable for deciding how much chlorine to add to the pool each day.

For your CYA you should keep your FC around 5. I personally like to keep my FC at the higher end so if there is a super sunny day or a heavy use day my FC never hits 0. Your higher end is 7-9 ppm. You can absolutely keep your CYA at 60 or replace water and go to 50 cya and FC min of 4 and 6-8 average.

No need to force the CYA to 50. Just raise the FC to follow the FC/CYA Levels
For CYA=60, the chart recommends FC to be 7-9. Pool Math shows to add 1 gallon of Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid to get my FC from 2.5 to 8. So is this what I should do at night as a one time thing and then maintain FC at around 8 if my CYA stays at 60?

I would suggest using the FAS-DPD for most if not all your FC testing. The OTO yellow test is not suitable for deciding how much chlorine to add to the pool each day.
When you say "use the FAS-DPD", do you mean to take a full Chlorine Drop Test to measure FC, CC and TC on a daily basis? I am asking because instructions for TF-100 say to take Chlorine Drop Test weekly and not daily. Or should I get some other kit for the FAS-DPD test?

Yes, the FC drop test. You do not need to do the CC portion. TFP recommends that. What the instructions say in the kit is up to that company.

A good start is raising your FC to 8ppm or so each night. Then when you test the next day, be sure the FC is above the minimum shown on the chart. If not, you need to raise your FC level higher each night.

The safety test can measure a maximum of 5 fc... at 50 cya the lowest it should ever get is 4 and the target to maintain is 6-8. At 60 the minimum is 5 and the target is 7-9. You will have to use the fas-dpd to maintain either target. Until you get an idea of how much fc your pool uses on an average day you need to check and adjust your fc daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.