On my own!

Follow the SLAM Process step by step with no shortcuts.

Third bullet point says:

• It is best to use bleach or liquid chlorine when SLAMing. You will want to have enough on hand to raise the FC level to shock level at least a couple of times. It is especially important to avoid using dichlor when SLAMing, as it will raise CYA far too quickly.

Sixth bullet point says:

• Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn’t reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start.

You should lower your pH to 7.2 as described in the SLAM Process. Lowering the TA a bit is not a big deal.

You should only be using liquid chlorine right now. SLAM or not. Your CYA is high for a non-SWCG pool.

Before I start the SLAM should I lower the PH? It is currently in the 7.8 to 8.0 range. Not sure if that is going to cause my TA, which is at 80, to drop causing other issues. Also I only have pucks, powdered chlorine and powdered shock. I understand I should not use any of those for the SLAM correct? I should be using liquid chlorine or liquid bleach correct?

As Chris mentioned earlier your best place to buy LC is going to be Leslies. Get the coupon and it is $7.99 for two 2.5 gallon jugs. Their LC is usually very fresh and strong, and cheap. Just dont let them sell you anything else. Don’t even tell them you have algae it will spin them into a frenzy. Tell them your pool is perfect you just need a little chlorine. You will have to buy the jugs but they are fairly cheap

My Leslie's "harassed" me for a while, but they eventually figured out I only buy chlorine and acid. Now they leave me alone. Even when I make them test my water to get their $5 off offers. They have competitive prices in my area, have the "strengths" I need, and I don't worry about freshness with them. I really like the water sample squirt bottles they give out for free. Try one if you haven't already.

Love the squirt bottles. Still using the one they gave me a few weeks ago the first time I went there. They said returning the items was against their policy but they took them back anyway. Grabbed a few jugs of chlorine and left with more money than I went in with. ETA to SLAM commencement about 5 minutes.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
MA is usually cheaper at HD. $11 for 2 gal of 31.45%
My closest big box is Lowe's. They only carry the 14%. When you're shopping for your pool chem's and comparing prices, be sure you're comparing the same % strengths (both chlorine and acid come in various %). The Pool Math app has a calculator for chlorine.

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks I already figured the concentration differences. I also used the calculator (Web version) and rounded up a bit too much maybe. Was shooting for FC = 24. Ended up at 29. :)
We might be talking about two different things. Yes, there are calculators for levels, in the app and there's a webpage version. I was pointing you to a calculator in the app that helps you calculate the best price for chlorine.

Their is a valve where I can somewhat control where the pump sucks the water from out of the pool. When SLAMing should I set it so the majority of the water is coming from return at the bottom of the pool or the skimmer or should I split the difference?

Their is a valve where I can somewhat control where the pump sucks the water from out of the pool. When SLAMing should I set it so the majority of the water is coming from return at the bottom of the pool or the skimmer or should I split the difference?
Makes no difference to the SLAM Process. Leave your main drain/skimmer balance at its normal setting.

:goodjob:

We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.

We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.