On Closing: To Polyquat or not to Polyquat????

mmcwhorter

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
Huntingtown, MD
I read thru this Forum Topic and didn't see too much on the subject of using or not using a Winter Algecide.......I'm 5-6 days from closing, just SLAMmed and am beginning the initial steps to close on Nov 1...like gathering plugs, cover, shop vac and hoses, gizmos, cover pump, etc...

I've closed pool four times before by myself. The first year I moved to this colder climate I had it done by a "professional" (LOL LOL :mad:) and he said polyquat was not required. I think I used winter algecide one (or two) times when I closed the pool out of the four times I did it. Honestly, I don't recall seeing any difference in the water on opening with or without Polyquat...but for sure that is a vague recollection.

What's the worst that could happen? Open the pool early spring when still cold and have to SLAM it, right....In that case it would be longer to the point where it could be used....no biggie. Or are there seriosu issues possible upon opening without using Polyquat.

So, what does the Forum think? Use it, or not? It's insurance only? Against what? More work or time in the spring?

I'd venture to guess half do and half don't. If you keep your pool open and cared for until the water is under 60 degrees, and open it before the water reaches 60 degrees you have excellent chance of opening to good water. Algae *if present* just doesn't grow very fast in cold water.

Our only hope is that those who do will use Polyquat 60 type algaecides and *not* the less expensive copper containing algaecides.

Maddie :flower:

I've used it and I have not used it. Not sure it really makes much difference. I found out this year (when my pump died mid-season) that I was able to keep chlorine levels fine by dropping a portable pump in the pool and draping the hose back into the pool to create some circulation and added my liquid chlorine daily with that running for a couple hours. That got me by for about 10 days while waiting for a new pump to arrive and getting the time to install it. I think I can do the same thing in the spring if I have to delay my opening once water temp rises above 60. I usually open my pool in early April as that is about the time that happens.

Having said all that, I am closing this weekend and I do have Polyquat! :D

First winter closing I used polyquat. Last year (second closing) I did not. Both openings were crystal clear, with a fair amount of FC remaining.

I do not plan to use polyquat ever again at closing, just a very clean & cold pool, closing at shock level FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.