Endicott, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have a Mineral Springs MS-11 system, with what I think is a CompuPool GRC40GH. I've owned the pool for almost three years, and the cell continues to work. I clean it each year, but it doesn't seem to need it. The original owners said it was the second cell, and the pool was installed in 2008. So I'm not sure how many years are on it, but it's more than three or four. I'm aware costs of cells is going up, and very quickly. I figure I might as well buy one now, because it's only a matter of time.
My issue that my system is at r1.40. I just found a Blue Works (T-15 replacement) on Amazon for $480. But it says it requires r1.5 or higher.
Can anyone tell me what would happen if I tried to use this cell with my system?
Is there a way to flash or upgrade the version, or does this require an entire board replacement? At that point, between the cell and the board, seem like a totally new system would be the better choice.
Any thoughts or advice?? thank you!

Here are a few pictures. Not sure what you're looking for specifically, but if I didn't capture it, let me know and I'll try to get a better view for you. Thanks for the blazing fast reply!IMG_1122.jpgIMG_1120.jpgIMG_1119.jpgIMG_1123.jpgIMG_1121.jpg

In both of these images, you can see two jumper spots. The J7 is to make the board a primary or secondary when using two or more boards.

The J4 is to select a T-15 cell or a T-5 cell.

If the J4 jumper is on connecting both points, the cell selection is T-15. If the jumper is off, the selection is T-5.

45762222-d172-4fd0-aa7e-ffb9f7330f0e-jpeg.139204
Mainboard.jpg

here it is. looks like J4 is jumper, and thus set up for T15.
So will my r1.4 work with a "newer" T15 replacement cell? I'm not sure why the one Amazon posting made the effort to make it clear their product only worked with r1.5 and higher. Is there a reason behind this that's simpler than they're making it? Maybe that as long as J4 is set to T15, then it will work?IMG_1124.jpg
IMG_1124.jpg

You're good to use a T-15.

The newer versions allow you to select a T-3, T-5, T-9 or a T-15 right from the control panel.

Some older models come set to T-5 or T-15 with no jumper for the J4 as you can see in my second picture.

In that case, we were able to switch to a T-15 by connecting the points with solder.

Most people don't know that and they would not be able to use a T-15 with the second board.

The sellers are just trying to avoid problems with preset boards without jumpers.

Yours came with a T-15 and is set to T-15. So, a T-15 will work correctly.

A T15 replacement cell should work fine. My guess is since Blue Works offers different size replacement cells, the just use the v1.50 disclaimer on all of them to avoid confusion/issues. My understanding is before v1.50, T15 was the only option.

As far as using a “generic” T15 cell such as the Blue Works cell, experience seems to be mixed. Personally, I stick with genuine T15 cells.

Oops, slow to post, James beat me to it. 😀

Thank you. Vielen Dank. Gratzie Mille. Seriously - taking the time to help someone that quickly is a Godsend. I can't thank you enough. I'll try to pay it forward.
Saturn94 - when you say "genuine" - do you mean Hayward (W3T-CELL-15)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.