Old wood framed inground pool_______Possible Renovation or does it need to be filled????

bgc1978

Sep 16, 2019
Pensacola, Florida
I bought my home a year ago and a 1970’s wood framed pool came with it. I live in the Panhandle of Florida and in a weeks timeframe the pool water level will drop about a foot. I know I have a significant leak. The wood framing is rotting and the coping(which is no longer made) cannot secure to the metal channel because it is rusted away. I know I have a leak but is there anyway to repair/restore this money pit of a pool or am I looking at having to fill the pool?

3pool.PNG2pool.PNG1pool.PNG4pool.PNG5pool.PNG

I tagged a few builder types who may have some good input (better than mine on this subject) to offer.

Yes, would like to keep the pool and would like to have it restored as oppose to having to fill it or build another pool. From the little research that I have done, there is an option of reinforcing the wood framing but I guess I will not know until the liner is removed and the full extent of framing damage is exposed. Thanks for the response

I think everybody would now agree that a wood-framed, in-ground pool is not a good idea. I suspect you are looking at removing everything (you could do that yourself or hire a couple of unskilled laborers to do it for you). Then you have a ready-excavated plot (they don't need access for a huge backhoe) for a new gunite pool!

I think everybody would now agree that a wood-framed, in-ground pool is not a good idea. I suspect you are looking at removing everything (you could do that yourself or hire a couple of unskilled laborers to do it for you). Then you have a ready-excavated plot (they don't need access for a huge backhoe) for a new gunite pool!
I was going to suggest the same! You are not really going to want to keep the wood anyway... its a sinking ship. What's your budget?

BTW is that a rope swing off the deep end? you must save the pool for the sole purpose of rope swing entry to your pool! :LOL:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wood buried in the ground seldom rots. Pressure treated wood installed in the areas where you have to build above the soil level can still last 20 years. I would be contrarian and suggest you give it a try. If you come to an impasse, you can always bail out and do a more modern construction.

Reactions: allinspector
Would cinderblocks be a good happy medium between wood and Gunite ? It would be more compairable to the cost of wood with the longevity of the Gunite. Somebody else was starting to rennovate a cindeblock pool recently here.

Actually, it's the exposure to moisture that prevents the rot. Those 200 year old logs they are pulling out of the Great Lakes is an example of the preservative affect that water provides.
Todays MCA-treated wood it totally worthless as an underground wood preservative
I am not sure what it is treated with but I think you can commonly purchase treated wood with a 40 year guarantee..........just exactly what that guarantee includes I do not know.

Wood framed pools are actually fairly common and last a very long time. They are a brilliant idea and to give you a couple examples, two in my area are over 20 years old. Another was built down the road, with my help on equipment that cost, wait for it. 20x40 in ground pool, swg, sand filter, vs pump, 2” lines, 4 returns, 2 skimmers, all for under 8,000. Including the dig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.