Lookout mountain tn
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Purchased a home over the winter and starting to dig into the wiring details of my pool. The pool is a partially above ground gunite pool with a wooden deck built in the late 80s early 90s. The sub panel that runs my pad is mounted about 7 feet away from the pool edge on the underside of the wooden deck.

The sub panel is fead from about a 100ft run from my main outside panel just under the power meter. The wire appears to be 2 hot 1 neutral. The ground bar and neutral in the sub panel appear to not be connected in any way. The ground bar appears to have a bear copper wire that should be going to a grounding rod but it has been abandoned.

There does seem to have a grounding rod near the main service panel but it is connected inside the power meter box.

Questions:
- I know this probably does not meet current code but are there any major safety concerns?
- I need to add a gfi for the pool pump
- should I add a grounding rod?

I was going to upgrade the sub panel during the off season but after noticing the above wanted to make sure we are safe this season.

74C4CE70-741E-4FED-AC1F-3D4A4799BA25.jpeg
FE41A8A8-D6F5-46F4-BDCC-75ACBD6C8255.jpeg

Last edited:
If it were mine, I would probably replace everything. I don't mean to offend, but the wiring looks like a rat's nest, which makes following any wire very difficult. A proper job should be very neat.

At the very least, you should consider replacing the pool pump breaker with a GFCI breaker. When your pool was installed they were not required, but to bring the panel up to current codes, that would be the least you would need to do.

For a better evaluation, it would be better to get an electrician to inspect the panel, he would have the ability to check for loose connections, partial grounds, voltage leaks, and wire/insulation conditions.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.