old brittle leaking return eye leaking

rjggg

Dec 11, 2007
Griffith, in.
I was trying to tighten the return eye, and then it cracked. I new i would need to replace it, it looks a bit sad. My question is. (i know it is obviouse) I just need to ask. can/is it possible to replace this w/o draining below the return? and what else is needed for the repair, gaskets, sealer etc. TKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
It depends on which part cracked, part of the eyeball fitting or the return fitting. The eyeball has three parts, the eyeball, the cover, and a sleeve that screws into the return fitting. It is fairly easy to replace any part of the eyeball fitting.

imalittleturt

Apr 29, 2008
I just replaced the whole assembly on my pool. I bought a winterizing plug for the return for $3. I had my wife hold rags over the holes to minimize water loss as I removed the old return. The plug stopped water from coming out of the new return until I had everything hooked up. I think we lost a total of 5 gallon of water, so not much at all. JUst make sure you have some one to help you. The whole process took about 2 minutes.