Ok to run the pump with the returns above the water line?

riny

Gold Supporter
Aug 20, 2020
NY, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I'm still filling my pool but I'd like to get the water circulating. The water level is not yet above the returns. Is it ok to run the pump like this, pulling from the main drains and just shooting water out of the returns and into the pool? Or should I wait until they're submerged? I don't want to burn out my new pump!

The biggest issue will be maintaining prime from the main drain. If you are willing to risk that, the returns being above the water line is not an issue.

Why are you in a rush to get the water circulating?

I would be patient and let the pool fill.

I just finished the plumbing and electrical work for all of my new equipment and I'm not feeling patient at all. I want to see it go! :)

After making the final connections though, I had to wait 2 hours for the PVC cement to set and now it's dark. I'll probably end up waiting until morning at this rate but it will still take another couple of days to get the water level all the way up and I don't think I have it in me to wait that long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.