Ok to add baking soda, calcium hardness & stabilizer together?

A screen enclosure reduces UV substantially. Please put that in your signature.

With that information, I would recommend setting the SWCG to make 2.5 ppm or so per day while you are gone.

Ok, back from my trip and tested the water and was surprised to find FC very low and CYA lower than expected after only a few days. There was a really good storm one night while I was gone that raised the water in the pool about 2 inches but nowhere near overflowing still. Been mostly sunny besides that.

I realize FC may be low because the CYA is now low, but is it normal for CYA to decrease that much in just a few days?

How do you get a CYA reading of 62? We round up so your CYA is 70. Your previous CYA was 80. A 10 ppm difference is within normal testing error.

Raise your FC to your target using liquid chlorine and dont wait for your SWG to get you there. While you are waiting algae can be taking hold in your water.

Oops! Same way I got 75 before. Ok. That means last time was 80 and this time was 70. I’ll correct the logs.

And all of your prior CYA tests are 70. The 80 is a testing anomaly.

Raise your FC to your target using liquid chlorine and dont wait for your SWG to get you there. While you are waiting algae can be taking hold in your water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The 80 was half a day after I added 6.7oz.of stabilizer so I wouldn’t think that was an anomaly, right?

The CYA test is not so precise. It can easily be off by +/-10 ppm on a test. It really doesn’t matter what your precise value is. Round up and use that value to find your FC target in the FC/CYA Levels

I guess my main concern is that I almost doubled my SWCG % and Chlorine isn’t any higher even though CYA hasn’t gone down that much. Is that normal? I just had to add liquid chlorine to get it closer to normal a few days ago before I increased SWCG %. It’s set at producing 2.5 ppm FC/day right now.

Average FC daily burn is 2-4 ppm a day. At 2.5 ppm output a day i would expect your SWG to barely maintain your FC level. I am not surprised that setting is not raising it.

What is your math to say your SWG is putting out 2.5 pm a day?

So you are running your pump 12 hours a day and SWG at 30%.

Whoever advised you the 2.5 ppm gave you a starting point. Not a hard number. You need to dial in what works fir your pool environment.

So you are running your pump 12 hours a day and SWG at 30%.

Whoever advised you the 2.5 ppm gave you a starting point. Not a hard number. You need to dial in what works fir your pool environment.

That makes sense. It’s just really odd because when my SWCG was set much lower my FC was higher. That’s why I reduced it. Now it’s almost 3 times higher and may only barely keep up. Just seems weird.

That makes sense. It’s just really odd because when my SWCG was set much lower my FC was higher. That’s why I reduced it. Now it’s almost 3 times higher and may only barely keep up. Just seems weird.

30% operation 12 hours a day says you are using 15% of the SWG output capacity. If the cell is rated for 40K size pool. You are generating the ppm for 6K or water for your 10K pool. That seems reasonable considering your enclosure.

It would not be reasonable for your SWG to support your size pool running at 10%.

30% operation 12 hours a day says you are using 15% of the SWG output capacity. If the cell is rated for 40K size pool. You are generating the ppm for 6K or water for your 10K pool. That seems reasonable considering your enclosure.

It would not be reasonable for your SWG to support your size pool running at 10%.

I really appreciate your help and insight!

My SWG has been set at 30% for the last 4 days and FC was only 0.5 today, so that still seems off, no?

I have it set at 48% now to make 4ppm FC/day. I guess we’ll see how it levels out over the next few days. I just don’t understand why FC tested so high at 11.5 11 days ago and 11 the following day when the SWG output was only set to 17%. That’s what started this journey of slowly lowering it. It may have been a bit cloudy outside a few days leading up to those 2 days - not the entire days, but for parts of each day. Do you think that’s why it read so high then when the SWG was only set at 17%? I hadn’t added any liquid chlorine recently prior to that and my CYA was within range.

I just don’t understand how FC has gotten lower when I’ve raised the SWG %. 4 days ago I increased the SWG from 17% to 30% and added 43 oz. of liquid chlorine because FC was 1.5 then and today it tested at 0.5. That’s why I’m so confused.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.