Ok my mind is blown. I need help.

AlanCoderre

Jun 6, 2020
Oxford, PA
My pool water has turned green. I had this problem before because of well water. I fixed the issue using a couple of white socks on the return hose and it caught all of the metal that was in the water. The socks looked like complete rust within minutes. So I tried again with the socks. I had them on for over a day and the socks still are nice and white. There is no algae that I can feel on the sides or bottom what so ever but the pool water is still green. We installed a pool heater that goes up on the roof and is heated by the sun. Because of the heater being so high I needed a bigger pump. I installed the new sand filter and pump and everything has been running great. The last time I had the green water it was on a small cartridge filter type of filter. All of my levels on the test strip seem to be ok now but this morning the chlorine was very low. I shocked the water and now all levels seem good. I was also told to use Ultra Bright Advanced by my local pool supply store but so far there is no difference. Not sure what to do or what going on now. I have searched and searched for answe

Attachments

• 5065A535-5846-4734-8DAB-EDAB3F4A3A9E.jpeg
    5065A535-5846-4734-8DAB-EDAB3F4A3A9E.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 28
  • BBE2DA22-2D0D-49CC-BEB1-01C617D0AD6E.jpeg
    BBE2DA22-2D0D-49CC-BEB1-01C617D0AD6E.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 28
You have a few things to do. First, you need a test kit. Test strips are no good. Check out my signature for a great kit that will give you everything you need.

i encourage you to check out Pool School, in particular the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. I think there are some site updates going on right now, so you may have to wait a bit. But, in short, you will learn what is needed to keep pool water clean and safe, and easy it can be.

As this is your first pool, when did you have the metal issue before, and have you added water since? How are you chlorinating?

First of all, you need a GOOD test kit, either TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, both links in my signature below. Then, you need to read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and browse Pool School. We can't really tell you what's going on with your pool based on pool store testing or test strips -- we call them guess strips for a reason.I

Start adding 5 ppm liquid chlorine to your pool every day. PoolMath will tell you how much chlorine to add.

What you can do first of all is do an OCLT test when you get your test kit to see what's happening with your chlorine. If you lose more than 1 ppm free chlorine and your combined chloramines is more than 1, you have algae. You'll need to follow the SLAM Process.

But get that test kit first so we can help you!

Those should be ok for use when you are away, but I would use plain liquid chlorine regularly. You’ll know exactly how much because you will be testing yourself. But I do want to have someone more knowledgeable about metals commenting here as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.