Ok, Here Goes Nothing - Would LOVE Some Help Fixing This Pool Water :)

Hey everyone... hope all are having a great day. Just want to say thank you for reading this post, and thank you in advance for your help. It's really really really appreciated.

So, I'll get right to it... I have lived in this house for two years... and we have a pool. I have been "lurking" around this forum for awhile taking and applying tips. But now it's time to really get serious and finally fix this pool.

Right now it is still like a "foggy light green color".

I started the SLAMMING process a few days ago and wanted to make sure I posted in here to make sure I am doing things right. I would love a nice clear pool that the kiddos, better half, and friends can swim in this year.

Its 85 F here today & the pool water is: 78 F
I have 2 skimmers, a DE filter, and a drain that works through the filter at the bottom of the deep end.
The pool is 20,000 gallons

Day #1: Tuesday 4-18-17 (evening) - I got in my Taylor K-2006 test kit & here were the numbers:

FC - 0
Ph - 7.4
TA - 130
CH - 190
CYA - 50

I added enough liquid bleach to get the FC to 20 ppm

Test before bed:
FC - 19 ppm
CC - 1.5 ppm

Day #2 Morning Test:

FC - 18 ppm
CC - 1 ppm

Added enough liquid bleach to get it back up to 20 ppm

Day #2 Late afternoon:

FC - 10.5 ppm
CC - .5 ppm

Added enough liquid bleach to raise FC to 20 ppm

Day #2 Night Test:

FC - 19 ppm
CC - .5 ppm

Added enough liquid bleach to get FC back up to 20 ppm

Day #3 Morning Test:

FC - 16.5 ppm
CC - .5 ppm

Day #3 Afternoon Test:

FC - 18 ppm
CC - 1 ppm

* Also added a 3 lbs of Calcium Plus

Pool water temp right now is 78 F

Here's 4 pics of the pool right now (it's 5:18 pm) - not sure if they will show up ok, but worth a shot

Photo on 4-20-17 at 5.19 PM.jpg

Photo on 4-20-17 at 5.19 PM #2.jpg

You can see about a foot down into the water, but thats about it.

Photo on 4-20-17 at 5.22 PM.jpg

Photo on 4-20-17 at 5.23 PM.jpg

###

Thanks everyone that contributes to this forum, I have really appreciated the help so far just reading around.

And thanks in advance to anyone that helps with my pool to (really appreciated)

Kenney

Welcome! :wave:
I would suggest a couple of things. You really need to test and add more often. As often as you can. Every hour or so if at all possible. You need to brush at least once a day and vacuum too. Watch your pressure to know when to backflush and recharge your filter.

I too was going to mention, remember to brush the entire surface thoroughly, at least once daily.

The whole process goes better if you remember to do that.

And you are running the pump 24/7 correct?

@pabeader - oh really... I didn't know you had to test that often. Thank you.

& I totally brush every few hours.

Should be able to vacuum soon as I am waiting on a new canister/filter to filter the water before it gets to the skimmer.

I need to have a look at the filter again, because it isn't giving me a pressure.

- - - Updated - - -

@woodyp - thank you... me too!! I'll definitely post a full size pic of it ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I am indeed running the filter 24/7 :)

I can say from experience. Brush brush brush.

Yes, I've let my pool turn green and recovered. But......I also have found algae hiding everywhere after a complete green episode. You need to look for those nooks and crannies and brush there. In my case it was inside skimmer frames and behind the light frame and under the fiberglass stair frame.......

Sounds like you have an understanding. Just stick with it :) post questions as you have them.

Pool is still a foggy light green - can only see about a foot or so under water - doesn't seem to be getting any better

4-20-17 Before Bed Numbers:
22 ppm - FC
1 ppm - CC

4-21-17 - First thing this morning
18.5 ppm - FC
.5 ppm

I have added chlorine to bring ppm back up to 20 ppm

Am I doing something wrong? Or am I missing something? The water just doesn't seem to be getting any clearer. I feel it is the same.

Pool is still a foggy light green - can only see about a foot or so under water - doesn't seem to be getting any better

4-20-17 Before Bed Numbers:
22 ppm - FC
1 ppm - CC

4-21-17 - First thing this morning
18.5 ppm - FC
.5 ppm

I have added chlorine to bring ppm back up to 20 ppm

Am I doing something wrong? Or am I missing something? The water just doesn't seem to be getting any clearer. I feel it is the same.

The idea behind a SLAM is shock level AND maintain so you want 20 to be your minimum level for your chlorine not your maximum. So the idea is to bring it above 20 and then add more chlorine before it drops below 20. It seems like for the most part you have been bringing to 20 and then letting it drop from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@AimeeH - you were right... I found a couple of nooks & crannies in the deep end this morning that had some build up (sludge if you will) that needed to be scrubbed. I'm guessing this is a BIG part of the problem with this pool. I have debated draining it and refilling instead so I can power wash & start with fresh water.

Where I am it cost me about $150 to drain and refill.

- - - Updated - - -

@ship of fools - aha... thank you... I didn't know that. Lol... thaaaaank you so much. yes that is exactly what I was doing. thinking that 20 was the max... thank you again for that.

- - - Updated - - -

@gerg - ok, thank you ... I will definitely do that. thank you

- - - Updated - - -

@ship of fools - quick question - what would be the max then? maybe 30 or so?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.