Official 2020 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Loquats similar to Kumquats ?
no, kumquats are a citrus. loquats are interesting, semitropical but they can be grown from seed and I even have one in a planter at 4500 feet in the high desert of AZ. I have to bring it inside in the winter, along with my citrus. Someone I met on the internet sent me some fruit after a discussion (they thought they were some kind of apricot, but no way - I know apricots very well. anyway I planted some of the seeds and they grew. the fruit doesn't ship or store well so that is why it isn't common, but it is delicious and can be made into jams. you can find canned versions in Asian markets.

I just finished the first food cooked on our new Rec-Tec grill today - a nice rack of baby back ribs...a little comfort food while trying to self quarantine with the family and a kid home from school.

Sauteed greens with garlic ( lots of garlic), air fried potatoes, and Memphis style ribs.

Stay healthy ? everyone.
View attachment 129361
Below are the Ribs just off the grill ? they turned out great for a first time using a pellet grill. Cooked them at 230 for 2-2-30mins.
View attachment 129362
We are back in a winter storm pattern here in Nor Cal so we cooked while it finally stormed for real for the first time since probably December, happily testing out having an easy access grill just off the upstairs kitchen.
View attachment 129363
So envious of your rec tec grill :cheers:

no, kumquats are a citrus. loquats are interesting, semitropical but they can be grown from seed and I even have one in a planter at 4500 feet in the high desert of AZ.

Interesting.... may have to try to grow some. I would love to grow something edible in a pot on my hot deck.

More unusual fruit we just bought to try for the first time- Jackfruit. Delicious!!! Like pineapple and strawberry flavors combined.
But soooo sticky you have to lube your knife and hands up with a little oil or you end up gunked up sticky for the day.

Maddie :flower:

no, kumquats are a citrus. loquats are interesting, semitropical but they can be grown from seed and I even have one in a planter at 4500 feet in the high desert of AZ. I have to bring it inside in the winter, along with my citrus. Someone I met on the internet sent me some fruit after a discussion (they thought they were some kind of apricot, but no way - I know apricots very well. anyway I planted some of the seeds and they grew. the fruit doesn't ship or store well so that is why it isn't common, but it is delicious and can be made into jams. you can find canned versions in Asian markets.

So I never heard of a loquat before, and today I am in Home Depot stocking up on charcoal and acid and lo and behold.

2A77C67A-1C4E-43AE-AE67-F20265438BBB.jpeg

Interesting.... may have to try to grow some. I would love to grow something edible in a pot on my hot deck.

More unusual fruit we just bought to try for the first time- Jackfruit. Delicious!!! Like pineapple and strawberry flavors combined.
But soooo sticky you have to lube your knife and hands up with a little oil or you end up gunked up sticky for the day.

Maddie :flower:

what bout rambutan?

1584567629077.png

• Wow
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Well can’t be around too many people so what to do. Take 4 guys. 2 boats. Appropriate distance between 2 guys on each boat. Fish way way early for the year. And what happened. This craziness. 20 bass, 10 pickerel, and brought home 70 plus perch and crappie!
Figured it was a fluke. So went back out a few days later this time 1 boat and 2 guys. 20 bass again and 58 perch! This time I took fish for myself. So I kept 24 perch and cleaned and cooked them tonight.
Not only is it way to early to actually be catching so many fish but the size! Oh the size. Hogs! And you had to hog em in. You give them the littlest line they came off. Never saw a bite like this so early!
and the bass are huge. A lot of 5 plus pounders. Crazy! So much fun!

90FD3792-D977-44D4-9A13-01D4542358A8.jpeg167E8305-4697-4462-84B4-CB7CCE6CD5B9.jpeg6687358B-8F1C-454E-8C4D-30DD7AE57B67.jpeg2FB60B86-A574-4092-BCC7-07395321D556.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am so jealous. I love perch. We dont get them often here in southern Louisiana but they are my favorite. We have plenty of speckled trout though. It is a close second.

Well can’t be around too many people so what to do. Take 4 guys. 2 boats. Appropriate distance between 2 guys on each boat. Fish way way early for the year. And what happened. This craziness. 20 bass, 10 pickerel, and brought home 70 plus perch and crappie!
Figured it was a fluke. So went back out a few days later this time 1 boat and 2 guys. 20 bass again and 58 perch! This time I took fish for myself. So I kept 24 perch and cleaned and cooked them tonight.
Not only is it way to early to actually be catching so many fish but the size! Oh the size. Hogs! And you had to hog em in. You give them the littlest line they came off. Never saw a bite like this so early!

View attachment 129802View attachment 129803View attachment 129804View attachment 129805

View attachment 129802View attachment 129803View attachment 129804View attachment 129805
You have food for weeks and don't have to go to the store fighting for supplies :cheers:

I am so jealous. I love perch. We dont get them often here in southern Louisiana but they are my favorite. We have plenty of speckled trout though. It is a close second.
I still can’t decide after all these years if crappie or perch r my favorite. Perch are a fun fight. Crappie have such thin lips u have to surf them in or you loose them so the fight isn’t fun.
I really like native trout. We r a huge stocked trout region which are gross. I hate to clean them though. Or pike. Or anything with that backbone.

You have food for weeks and don't have to go to the store fighting for supplies :cheers:
Lol

gone man. All done. My 20 somefish gave me 3.5 lbs. 1.5 to my parents. 2 to me. Mine is half gone. Today I make tacos with the rest.
My buddy took the other half.
now that huge hall my other buddy took those to freeze for a summer fish fry.

All week while we have been fishing we are all joking at least we have fish. We will die of mercury poisoning first. Lol

thank goodness when the gov shut us down he kept the fish and game open so we can actually be out fishing. No way you would keep me in. I would just Fish my private places that are in the woods or on private property where you wouldn’t have anyone peeking in on you. I would go nuts.

stay safe everyone!

Pun intended ? Either way, Awesome day.

thanks! My one buddy kept saying “this is the best day I ever had. Can we go home I’m bored with catching fish. “ he was in the other boat. It was so funny. Mind you we were on a 1500 acre lake and you can hear him 1 mile away. Lol it really was his best day I ever saw. He crushed it. 2, 5 lb plus bass along with at least 5 other. And I would say he himself brought in 30 of those crappie.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.