"Off brand" Pumps and Filter Systems

May 12, 2017
S. E Michigan
Upgrading this year to either a 20' Sharkline or 21' Doughboy..deciding that this week.

However, having some second thoughts on these so called "pool packages" that the retailers want to include. On our previous Intex pool, we upgraded immediately to the sand pump - but think this time around we want to do a cartridge filter. We have a pine needle tree by out pool and its just a nightmare sometimes with this sand - and i hate backwashing and having to add water and rebalance everything. I dont mind the added cost of cartridges. We do however want a 2 speed. I do not want a DE filter.

The thing is, these packages include generic pumps. Blue Torrent is the brand ( Hurricane-D2 Dual Port Discharge pump with a standard twist lock plug- 2 speed). The filter system is by Black Diamond. While I have read a lot on here about water chemistry, I lack knowledge in the component part.

I cant find much on these and I am not sure how to proceed. Do I just get the pool/skimmer/liner and customize the rest? Will I hate this generic setup? What the heck am I going to do with the current sand filter that I have. Can it be used on these upgraded pools?

re: using the sand filter you already have-It depends on how big that sand filter is? Take a picture of the markings and show us the pounds of sand, etc. Also how large of a pool are you going to get?

Are you using skimmer socks in the skimmer which would collect those pine needles before they hit the filter.

Maddie :flower:

re: using the sand filter you already have-It depends on how big that sand filter is? Take a picture of the markings and show us the pounds of sand, etc. Also how large of a pool are you going to get?

Are you using skimmer socks in the skimmer which would collect those pine needles before they hit the filter.

Maddie :flower:

The specifications of my current Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter are:
Tank Size: 12 in
35lb sand capacity
0.5hp
turnover is 1,600 gph
minimum pool size is 2800 gal
maximum pool size is 12,800

We are either getting a 20' or 21' pool

I did not have a skimmer on my previous pool (Intex ultraframe) so I am not familiar with them.

it looks like the size of the pool would fall within the specifications of my current sand filter, but to be honest, im not sure how great of a job it did. i didnt feel like it moved water as much as I would have hoped. So the thought of getting a bigger pool and using the same filter and pump make me a bit skeptical. It is only a 0.5hp.

Your current filter and pump is not big enough. For a pool that size (about 10k, right?) I would suggest a 1.0 or .75 hp seperate pump and a 20" sand filter.

A 1hp two speed would be a really nice fit.

It will cost you some extra money but will be well worth it keeping your pool clean and sanitary

Last edited:
that is a pretty small pump and filter, but if you stay on top of chemistry and run it a fair amount it will work. other options are to sell it to another intex owner who is stuck with the tiny cartridge filter or just store it for a back up system.

Reactions: Anjayla0021
Go for the wide-mouth skimmer, it clears the top debris better.
I talked with the pool store and the Hurricane is an import that they started carrying and they seem to think it's good. I'm not familiar with it.
+1 with duraleigh and Pv2. The filter and pump seem too small for that size pool.

Reactions: Anjayla0021
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.