NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hey all, I'm new to all this pool stuff. I know I don't have any of my specs of my equipment up. I'll make this real simple, as I don't have a complicated system. I have a 27ft round 54" inch deep Saltwater 8000 pool. 190sqft cartridge filter with a 2 speed 2HP pump. Pool is about 18,000 gallons.

Bought the pool last year from the pool factory, being new and naive I bought the pool frog system. Educated myself in the off season and decided to go SWG. Picked up the circupool RJ45+ last month. Removed the winter cover about a month ago, to my surprise the water was crystal clear as the day I closed the pool. I'm not very handy with plumbing and PVC, so I asked a buddy of mine to help me plumb in the new SWG. Unfortunately he couldn't help for a few weeks, so the pool was dormant (I take my filter and pump in during the winter) and developed green algae.

Fast forward to this past Saturday, this is when I started the SLAM process. Checked PH before getting started. It was above 8.0. Lowered it down to 7.4 checked my CYA it was below 30 so I raised it to 40. Used liquid chlorine at 12.5% followed the pool math calculator and have kept a FC level of anywhere from 12ppm to 14ppm the entire SLAM process. As of yesterday I had vacuumed the pool everyday as wel, as scrubbed the walls everyday. Pool looks great, crystal clear. So last night I decided to do the OCLT. My reading at 9:30pm was 13ppm. Did not know ow we were going g to get a storm last night that dropped 1"inch of rain in the pool. This morning my skimmer was overflowing, so I know we received a decent amount t of rain. No sun, cloudy, took the morning sample. I got a reading of 12ppm and CC of 0.5ppm. All looks great, my main concern is the accuracy, as it rained last night? Should I continue SLAM one more day and retest tomorrow? I'm thinking the fact it rained and only had a 1ppm loss is a good thing right?

Advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 10, 2018
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
You've come a long way in two forum posts!

If anything, adding fresh water to the pool will result in a lower FC reading due to dilution. That aside, if it was my pool, I would continue one more day for a bit of insurance. Two passed OCLTs in a row would provide added confidence in my results.

Make sure you run the pump to circulate water before performing each of the tests.

Good work!

Mavven

Jul 21, 2021
NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
You've come a long way in two forum posts!

If anything, adding fresh water to the pool will result in a lower FC reading due to dilution. That aside, if it was my pool, I would continue one more day for a bit of insurance. Two passed OCLTs in a row would provide added confidence in my results.

Make sure you run the pump to circulate water before performing each of the tests.

Good work!
Thanks for the fast reply! I have been running the pump on High speed 24/7 since I started the SLAM on Saturday. Keep in mind, pool was green and that's all. I don't get a ton of leaves or debris in the pool. Only thing I get, are small leaves from my neighbors weeping willow tree. I'm afraid to look at my electric bill but so be it.

I was thinking the same thing, SLAM one more day. Test and be done with it. I have 400 pounds of salt ready to go in and fire up the SWG once the salinity is at 3500-3800ppm.

Reactions: IceShadow

Mavven

Jul 21, 2021
NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
SWG...perfect...

Next upgrade, VS pump.

If you're gonna stick around a while, take a few minutes to fill out your signature:

Best wishes!
What is the benefit of VS pump? I've always thought they will not work as efficiently as a 2 speed or single speed pump. I know the single and 2 speeds will no longer be available for purchase at some point.

Wife and I take care of a disabled child. I'll try and get to my signature. Unfortunately life gets in the way.

Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 10, 2018
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
What is the benefit of VS pump? I've always thought they will not work as efficiently as a 2 speed or single speed pump.
Actually, VS pumps are capable of running at lower speeds which results in significantly less operating costs. A single speed pump runs at 3,450 rpm all the time. When run at lower speed, VS pumps are much more quiet than a single speed.

Here's a chart for a 3.0 HP VS pump. Note the non-linear increase of power use (watts) as RPMs increase. By comparison, a 1 hp single speed pump runs at ~1,000 watts.

1649961299721.png

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread