OCLT Results at high FC (29)

zcmack

Apr 1, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
Hello,

I have noticed yellow/brown build up on the sunny side walls of my pool and bermuda deck while doing my weekly brushing. I've also noticed increased chlorine demand to the point where I've been adding liquid to amend my SWG output. I failed OCLT Friday to Saturday, falling from 4.5 to 3 FC and ~.5 CC. I figured it was time to SLAM, however I was in a bit of a bad place as I had just raised my CYA to ~75 due to it being the hottest, sunniest part of the year. The pool appeared mostly clean and clear but the results suggest something hiding, I figured it would be an easy SLAM compared to some of the green pools I've seen on here.

I've been SLAMing at 29, brushing and vacuuming frequently. This morning I failed my OCLT from FC 29 to 24, despite having crystal clear water (I swear I could read a book at the bottom of the pool..) and 0 CC. Should I continue SLAMing today? Or is my high starting FC potentially skewing the results of my test? I had read some things on previous posts potentially suggesting this. I figured I would ask before I either ramp back up to 29 for another day or let it fall a bit in an attempt to get a more accurate OCLT result.

Thanks!

I would agree with WF. Keep on fighting the fight, but at the adjusted FC of 31. Be sure you have exhausted searching for ANY potential hiding places of algae. Leave nothing to chance even though the water appears to be very clear. Run another OCLT tomorrow and we'll reevaluate. If you do fail the next OCLT, post a couple pics of the pool so we can see your set-up just in case something catches our eye. FC testing at an elevated FC of 31 can be tricky and exhausting, so take your time and try to be consistent. Sounds like you are very close to wrapping this up.

so you're suggesting i should just adjust my SLAM FC to assume I am at 80 CYA, right? and keep on keepin' on?
Yes call it 80. As long as you're sure about the CYA you can slam on but if it were actually somewhat higher then the slam level you have would be ineffective and miss the mark on eradicating algae fast.

Held at 31 all of yesterday and scrubbed the inside of the skimmer, water fill well, behind niches and umbrella hole. Went to bed at 31.5 FC and just tested at 23.5 FC. This is a greater loss than any previous days test. Very discouraging. Any other tips or just keep bleaching? Filter pressure is normal.

Also I know pH is unreliable at high FC levels but should I be dosing at all during the SLAM? My pool tends to require about a gallon of muriatic acid every 7 days.

Hopefully these illustrate what you would want to see. I cleaned both lights in the pool and the single light in the spa. I currently have one of the lights out of the pool as I plan to replace the gasket on it today. Both niches were dirty but only one had a noticeable film on it. When circulating through the in-floor cleaning zones, the spa zone does overflow into the pool.

Other recent test results:
pH: 3.2 (prepared for SLAM)
Salt: 4450 (recommended level for my SWG is between 4200 and 4500)
CH: 325
TA: 160 (as per my intro thread, have not made adjustments to TA after I drained and refilled in April and it has been very slowly falling)
nightpool.jpgdaypool.jpg

Seems like a straight-forward build. Other than the lights you removed already, not many places for algae to hide. Under drain cover perhaps depending on age of your pool. When you did the skimmers did you check behind the weir door as well? Not auto-fill location? Curious to know if you see such a large FC drop on your next OCLT.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool was built in 2005 and refinished in February 2020. I can pop the drain covers off and check I suppose. I scrubbed the entire skimmer assembly both the passage to the pool, the weir door/surrounding area, well and basket. The auto-fill well was pretty dirty/sandy but I put a few cups of chlorine directly into it and scrubbed the whole thing as well. For what its worth, I've been doing my final test at about 10pm and then checking again at 7:10am just before sun hits the pool directly.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I remembered I have two waterfalls that I haven't used since May. They're hooked up to the old non-VSP pump that to the best of my understanding just draws from drains and recirculates to the pool (no feed through the filter). Just to rule those out I primed the pump with hose water, dumped some chlorine in and have those running too. Curious if hidden plumbing like that would be a candidate for algae? My understanding is that sunlight is required for algae growth.

Reactions: Texas Splash
full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.