OCLT help!!

What Marty said. Full speed is a killer for your electric bill, too. According to Pentair, a 3450rpm pump running at 1/2 speed uses 1/8 as much power. Mine at 3450 draws 2530 watts; at 1300 it uses 111 watts. I run mine 9am to 8pm at 1650 (260w; 25gpm); then 1am to 5am just for the skimming at 1600rpm. As people here will quickly point out, it's the chemistry not the pump and filter that keep the water sanitary and algae free.

BTW, that little ball on the ozone generator, you set between the two lines at full pump speed and then leave it regardless of lower speeds. If it's really stuck at the top, just flick it with your finger and it should come loose.
I will turn it down and see how that works! The ball on my ozone generator is stuck for sure. I’ve flicked it and tapped it with a screwdriver. It doesn’t budge. The manual seems to suggest that it needs replaced, even though they replaced it last year for the same thing..

The VSP only needs to keep water (and chemicals) moving. The only time you would need it at a high rpm is to purge some air out of the pump basket or for vacuuming, but you have a robot so not even for that. Easy stuff. At least you seemed to lose a little less chlorine since earlier.
Yes, hoping it’s even less this next check.

An hour later and I’m at 9ppm again. Adding 128 oz of 10% LC at each check. I don’t know if it’s the sun draining it, organics in the water, or both. I assume both. Should I close the auto cover this next hour and see what my results are?

There is no reason to run a VS pump at full speed.
I would start at 1200 rpm to see if that skims your pool. If so, change the schedule to run at that speed 24 hours per day.
I turned the pump down to 2000 rpm so I could still see ripples on top of the water when running. I noticed that the gauge on my filter is now all the way down, I’m assuming that would be 2 psi? Is that normal? The gauge on the filter valve is only at 4psi?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One more question…so far, with the auto cover closed, my FC is holding. I’m still going to do another OCLT and see where I’m at tomorrow. IF I pass, I want to add some pucks to my chlorine feeder to up the CYA from 30 to 40. Any idea how many 3” pucks that would take? Should I just use them a week or so and retest CYA? Thanks again for all of the help!

Now that everyone is out of the pool, I have kept the cover on and haven’t added anymore LC and my FC seems to keep rising every hour 😂 It’s now at 15.5 ppm. Should I add any more tonight or just recheck in the morning??

I finally passed my OCLT this morning!! Hooray! I have a couple more questions…Last night before bed, my FC was at 16 ppm when last checked and I closed the auto cover since it was pretty windy and I didn’t want more junk blowing in the pool. This morning, still before sunrise and right after I opened the cover, I got 16.5 ppm. I wanted to be sure that I really passed so I redid the test with the same sample and got 16 ppm. Since the readings where different, I waited about 15 minutes and got another water sample and my reading was 15.5 this time. What is the reason for the fluctuation? No sunlight was on the pool at any time yet this morning.
Also, is it ok to now add some pucks to the chlorine feeder to start upping my CYA? Thanks for all the help so far!!

What is the reason for the fluctuation?
That's a lot of drops, so probably just a small testing variance. It can happen. Sounds like you did just fine though. Congrats. Yes, you can use the tabs if you wish.

Reactions: 3kidsAndAPool
It’s me again 😂 I noticed that my TA and PH have slight changes. I assume that’s from the SLAM? Is it safe to say that they will line themselves out in a couple of days or should I adjust them?
Also, this morning I put about 7 pucks in the chlorinator. How long do you think it will take to get an accurate reading of CYA? Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.