Obligatory green pool post

May 30, 2016
Abilene/Tx
I veered off my usual path this summer after I drained and filled my pool. Tried to save money and time by buying shock and tablets. My water was always hazy and where I live it gets filled with dirt and leaves quick. I didn’t vacuum for a few days and almost overnight my pool was green. I ran out of my testing kit chemicals beginning of last summer. I just tested the water from a store today. The pool stores have me doubting everything including my pools size.

It’s 15x30 the shallow end is 3ft, the deep is 9ft
(The hot tub I separate into two rings because of the seat.)
One ring is 8ft x 20 in deep
Second ring is 6ft x 16 in

I sent a picture of my pool pump as well I don’t remember what all you need to know
I know they are 420 cartridges

I currently have 6 gallons of 12% liquid chlorine

FC 1.57
TC 1.81
Combined .24
pH 8.1
Hardness 170
Alkalinity 114
CYA 59
Copper and iron both 0

Thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

• 0D160EAF-7C8C-44E7-8A0C-388D267BCD86.jpeg
    0D160EAF-7C8C-44E7-8A0C-388D267BCD86.jpeg
    449.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 35A1D7E8-A90C-4F92-8ACA-DFA644E397B4.jpeg
    35A1D7E8-A90C-4F92-8ACA-DFA644E397B4.jpeg
    748.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 63585D47-2171-4B87-B8A2-DDA7A46FFCC7.jpeg
    63585D47-2171-4B87-B8A2-DDA7A46FFCC7.jpeg
    631.1 KB · Views: 26
Need to get that test kit refilled. Order replacement chems, either from Amazon or TFTestkits.net. Until the new test chems are in, add 5ppm of chlorine daily to help keep the algae at bay. Then post full test results when the new chems for your kit are in. :)

You need your test kit because you need to test every 3-4 hours to ensure you maintain your FC at SLAM levels. If we can believer your CYA of 60 then you need a FC of 24. It is best to do your own testing. See SLAM Process

You need your test kit because you need to test every 3-4 hours to ensure you maintain your FC at SLAM levels. If we can believer your CYA of 60 then you need a FC of 24. It is best to do your own testing. See SLAM Process
Ok thank you, it’s going to be atleast 2-3 weeks before I can get my test stuff in. What is ur opinion on my ph. My pool school calculator is telling me that since my alkalinity is 114 I need to add 34 oz of acid to bring my ph down to 7.5 in order to start slamming

That could be right if the pool store test is right. Or it could be that the pool store test is wrong and your pH could be way off once you add acid.

You can't really SLAM without the test kit reagents. You'll need those to really begin. Until then, add 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily to help keep the algae bloom at bay.

That could be right if the pool store test is right. Or it could be that the pool store test is wrong and your pH could be way off once you add acid.

You can't really SLAM without the test kit reagents. You'll need those to really begin. Until then, add 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily to help keep the algae bloom at bay.
Ok that’s true the pool store has never helped idk how I thought it would help this year 🤦‍♀️

I mean maybe your pool store invested in a good, accurate test method that is regularly calibrated and has fully trained their staff on how to run the thing to get an accurate result.

I just wouldn't bet my pool equipment on that, if it were me.

Reactions: sweetlashes15
If all you need are some replacement reagents, maybe your pool store carries them. My pool store sells Taylor reagents. Just be sure to read the date on the bottles. I find some of them out of date. Probably don't have a huge demand for them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok thank you, it’s going to be atleast 2-3 weeks before I can get my test stuff in. What is ur opinion on my ph. My pool school calculator is telling me that since my alkalinity is 114 I need to add 34 oz of acid to bring my ph down to 7.5 in order to start slamming
Part of the SLAM process is to lower your pH to 7.2 because you cannot test your pH accurately when FC is above 10ppm (which it will be when you SLAM). But it is best to get your own test kit to test current CYA, current pH and current FC. The TA and CH can be dealt with later after SLAM. Have you tried Amazon. This is what I purchased several years ago. The TF-100 is better value but if you need to do a SLAM this will work.

Part of the SLAM process is to lower your pH to 7.2 because you cannot test your pH accurately when FC is above 10ppm (which it will be when you SLAM). But it is best to get your own test kit to test current CYA, current pH and current FC. The TA and CH can be dealt with later after SLAM. Have you tried Amazon. This is what I purchased several years ago. The TF-100 is better value but if you need to do a SLAM this will work.
Ok thank you for the link!! I have a local guy who has the test stuff so he is going to come by and test the water with me so I can begin slamming and then I’ll get my test equipment again. Hopefully soon. I’m just trying to do a lot in a little time with a little money 🤦‍♀️🤪

Reactions: HermanTX
I can completely get being short on cash. But, if there's any way...the sooner you start slamming, the faster it will clean up and the less it will cost in liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.