OB pool in Lutz (Tampa), FL

Werdnaycart

Aug 19, 2018
Florida
Hello all! I’ve been lurking the forums for a few weeks now, and reached out to a few people regarding building a new pool. I would like opinions on doing an owner build vs hiring a pool builder. Has anyone in the Tampa area done an owner build that could give me some pointers? We are still very much in the beginning stages of our pool build. We know we want a pool with attached spa, large spill over, sun shelf, and an overall rectangular design (not free form). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Another thing you can do is ask anyone you know who has a pool who did their work. They might remember the different subs. Once you find a good sub then ask them who THEY would use for this and that job. Once you start finding the different people in each trade you will find some names that keep popping up. Some for use and some for NOT use. Make sure to keep good notes so you remember down the road.

kim:kim:

Werdnaycart

Aug 19, 2018
Florida
So I've had a few meetings with pool builders. One thing that keeps coming up is the depth of the pool. Everyone is recommending 3-5'. This seems very shallow to me. I was thinking 3.5-7' or even 4'-7'. Would that be unusual? I don't think I'd be able to swim in less than 3.5-4' of water.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
YOU are correct! Anything less than 3.5 is almost un-swimable as you will scrape your knuckles on the bottom. I like 4'-7' as that lessens the slope and is very swimable!

Kim:kim: