OB Northern California (Roseville) Rehab / buried

I found the builder, but seems to have gone out of business awhile ago...
Now that is cool... Keep the plaque and add it to the remodel... heh heh...
I can't believe I'm just finding this one.. Howdy neighbor.. I'm just down the street from you.. just a stones throw down the ole SCB.

It looks like the bond beam is in good shape. and I bet the rest of the shell is decent as well. I don't see any cracks that would indicate the shell is compromised. I bet its build like a tank! Clean it out, fill it up and lets get to swimming!...well not quite. Some thoughts based on what I read over the last few pages....
-If you are looking for things to DIY.. chipping out is not that difficult.
-Are you going to keep it that deep? If so you might consider a bottom drain.. it helps circulate water from the deep end. If you change it to 6 ft deep, not so much.
-The consensus among most if get a robot these days. They are cheaper to operate and clean better.,, luckily the reliability is getting better to.
-I'll say it now.. plant the seed.. SWG
-Are you going to keep that shape? Now that you have it dug out and if the shell passes muster, it seems like a pretty cool arrangement to have.

Reactions: kimkats
Alright back at it again!!!!

Phase 2- finalize the remodel/design... See attachement

Need some input on design

Is the ....

Baja shelf - placement , size, etc...
Steps - size, placement, type, etc...
Benches- etc....
and finally what do you guys think of the wet bar stools ( yes or no - pros and cons)

Demo work is scheduled to begin this weekend - need to confirm design by Sunday

thoughts on built in Spa????? (would go next to Cabo shelf...

Next need advise on equipment; pool size about 25K
pump, filter, lights, controller, cleaner ( Salt or no salt)

requirements: Drain , Skimmer, 4 return lines, 2 lights (low voltage LED) autofill, pool sweep (suction type)
undecided : Spa and features (sheer decent)

And finally for now - surface finish - We are leaning towards quartz. What do you guys think

Attachments

• backyard sketch.pdf
    414.8 KB · Views: 74
SWG-YES YES YES
Wet Bar stools-.. not a fan. I imagine they would get tangled up in your robot. I always thought they were a place where algae would hide when I went to pools that had them.. but thats just me
I like my built in spa.. sure its not efficient as a separate spa.. but I like my built in spa
Pool sweep- get a robot
I'm partial to waterfalls, sheer descents to me are boring.. too structured, I like the burbling randomness of a waterfall. I do have mine setup to run and different flows so I can have a raging Yosemite falls or dial it back to a more Feng Shui trickle.
Put a bench under your water feature.. for some reason my kids like sitting under the waterfall.
Equipment.. if you want automation, you'll need to get the same brand equipment or at least everything that will work together.

Did you use crayons in your plot plan? I like it!🖍🖍🖍

Bar stools-are you thinking they will go up on a bench?

Bench on the end of the pool. I would not put one there. With it there you mess up the "swim lane". You cannot do a flip turn. I also worry about anyone jumping into the pool from that part of the pool. They may (will?) hit the bench if they are not careful.

I WOULD have a bench by the seating area BUT not all the way across like you have it now. A higher area to act as a step to get out of the pool to visit the seating area on that side of the pool would be a good features. I would do the bench where the barstools end AND have a small bench/step in the corner over there.

Nice plans!

I don’t think you will regret a SWG. Definitely consider it.

We have a suction port for a pool sweep and have not used it once. Got a robot and never looked back. Seeing how much junk winds up in there (dust, dirt, sand, dead insects, leaves, etc.) I am very happy to not be sending that all straight to my filter. Especially because I have a cartridge filter that should not be backwashed.

Baja size and location looks great to me. I can’t quite tell what you are planning for step(s) down to the shelf, or the shelf depth, but I would recommend a step or two so that the maximum step down to the shelf is 6 to 8 inches high. This will give an easy access point.

I’m having trouble visualizing the bar stool arrangement but I agree With KitKats that you should think twice about the bench at the end. Maybe it will work for you, but deep end jumping and benches are a potentially dangerous combo, especially where kids are involved.

How much you care about a swim lane is a personal choice, but my pool builder advised me to keep one open and I’m glad I did.

A built in spa is great because spa season is way longer than pool season, unless you want to spend a lot of money heating a pool in winter/spring/fall.

I like my sheer descent but I try not to run it all the time. I’m sure it contributes to pH rise. Also, at high speed the water fall noise is actually loud enough to be annoying after a while. Whether it’s a waterfall or sheer descent, I recommend you have options to control the speed and turn it off.

For equipment, get automation and remote control if at all possible. I use Pentair ScreenLogic. It has quirks but I would not give up the convenience.

Good luck. I remember the decision-making phase of our build. It’s fun but also kind of exhausting!

Thank you all for the great feedback.

I did get a little carried away with the color pencils... Lol

I think I need to be walked of the ledge on this one. I'm thinking of taking on the plumbing project my self. I have gotten back a few quotes which seemed high ( based on scope of work in my opinion)

Conditions:
- pool decks removed
- pipes about 18" deep

Scope of work:
- update drain
- replace skimmer (10-15 pipe run)
- pool sweep (12 pipe run)
- 3 return lines ( 35-40 feet)
- 2 lights ( 12-15 runs)

Q1- $5000
Q2- $3800
Q3- $5500

DIY
- Use trencher to trace lines
- drill out and replace lines
- replace skimmer already dug out
- add second pool light

Cost
- trencher $180
- materials (pipe, glue, fittings) $600 ish
- time few days/ evenings

What do you guys think?

Also has anyone used S.R smith pool lux light kits?

The cost to your body is MUCH higher than that. Yeah you may be able to pull it off but at what cost? When will you be able to do the work?

The amount of time it will take you doing it on your own will be long and drawn out.

There are times when it is best to work with your wallet instead of your back. It is up to you which way you want to go.

Personally I would not attempt the plumbing. The thought does not appeal to me at all. The thing that would make me most nervous is that if anything goes wrong in the future with plumbing, the repairs may involve demolishing and replacing bits of your pool deck or other hardscape.

The main reasons I could see doing it myself would be:
- if I had experience and a high level of confidence.
- I was really interested in learning how, and motivated to research all the details to get it right.
- if I was really worried about the money.

I’m sure there are others who disagree. Good for you if you can do it. For me, this is one of those tasks where I would much rather write the check!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is really all up to you. I would probably do the plumbing myself because I know how to do it and I am used to that kind of labor. We are remodeling the second floor of our house right now and I am doing all of the work except the drywall. I could do that part too, but I hate drywall. Because i am doing the work it will take a month longer, we will save $15K, and i will know that it was done to my standards.

Do those quotes include placing and hooking up equipment? If so, I think they are good prices. A team of three experienced pool plumbers may have that knocked out in a day, two tops. Yours of course is a rehab and not new, I would think that would add to the difficulty. especially drilling the pool shell.

Its been a busy few weeks and we have had terrible conditions here in Northern California (air quality). Finally had a chance to make some progress!

After receiving the above feedback i decided to sub-out the plumbing, and let me say I am sure glad i did. It doesn't seem like it would a ton of work, however it sure adds up.

Plumbing Job.

- Main Drain (individual line)
- side suction lines (help with water features)
- Skimmer (individual line)
- 4 return lines (individual lines)
- 1 vacuum line
- 3 deck jets (individual lines)
- 2 Sheer decent (individual lines)
- 1 open line (future S.R smith pool slide)

Next is electrical and tile

I need to finish the equipment set

Unfortunately i mixed equipment. I had got a really good deal on a Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST

What i would like to use is
-Jandy powercenter 6613 AP or 6614 AP
-Aqualink RS 6- or 8 - 2.0
-Jandy AquaPure PLC1400

What else am i missing? From what i understand the RS 6 and 8 can control pentair pumps!IMG_20201001_152852534.jpgIMG_20201001_152745677_HDR.jpgIMG_20201001_152912078_HDR.jpgIMG_20201001_152824913_HDR.jpgIMG_20201001_152836007_HDR.jpgIMG_20201001_152758033_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. I would recommend getting some good granular sand to backfill the plumbing with. You have some large voids under those pipes so you will want to pack under them the best you can as well as wash the sand in and around them when backfilling, also place 6" of sand on top of the pipes for protection.

The one thing that sticks out to me is the skimmer. It looks as if the middle of the skimmer is at the top of the bond beam, not the middle of the old tile line. Are they raising the bond beam that much? I'm not a pool builder so maybe it is ok, but seems like a lot to me.

The plumbing looks good. The project is coming along! Can't wait to see this one progress.

--Jeff

Another quick update:

Some of the electrical got done

3 - Jandy Nicheless lights (1- deep end 1- middle/shallow 1- Cabo
1 - Jandy 6614 AP

What deck jets and sheer decent do you guys recommend?

Purple - Suction (Skimmer, Bottom Drain, Wall lines
Blue - Returns
Red - Lights
Yellow- Autofill
Black - Pool Vacuum
White - Water features ( Deck Jets (3) , Sheer Decent (2), Pool Slide (1)

2020-10-03-5.jpg2020-10-03-6.jpg
2020-10-03-2.jpg2020-10-03.jpg

Make sure you have an overflow grate/line! Nothing worse than having turn out and drain some water from the pool during a big rain event.

I don't care for deck jets. Too noisy and picky about their filters and such. If it is at all windy it messes them up as well.

For the "waterfalls" I like ones like this: Amazon.com: APONUO Lighted Waterfall Pool Fountain 24" RGB LED Pool Fountain 7 Color Remote Changing Spillway for Sheer Descent(2 Connector Choose): Garden & Outdoor Pretty flow with the addition of a pretty light!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.