OB Northern California (Roseville) Rehab / buried

It's the end of day 1 here is what we now know.
1. Deep end is where we predicted far end and about 8-9 ft deep.
2. Only 1 area damaged so far. No visible cracks.
3. Unfortunately found lots of trash! ( Raising the cost due to landfill fees).
4. We have a little bit of water at the bottom. ( Excavator operator thinks it was not punctured.)

Tomorrow they should finish the dig.

Do I have them excavate trench all the way around the pool for new plumbing?IMG_20200815_081251329_HDR.jpgIMG_20200815_194334168.jpgIMG_20200815_194501169_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200815_194308776.jpg
    IMG_20200815_194308776.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 26
What is it with throwing trash in the pool hole???? GURRRR

Plumbing trench-that is a tough one........do they have a thinner blade to dig with? BUT even if they don't man it sure would be nice to NOT have to hand dig it out so look at your machine drivers skills and go from there!

Do you have someone who will be doing the concrete repair and adding the new bench and shelf yet? I imagine most of the plumbing will be changing locations so you might want to get a clear plan for construction and plumbing before just digging all the way around the pool. I would definitely have them dig out around and under any skimmers and dig out any the damaged area (at least a few feet past the damaged area on the outside so it can be cleaned and inspected. If you see some cracks on the inside have them dig down on the outside to see if the cracks go all the way through. I would also have them dig down alt least 1' all the way around the pool so the beam can be properly inspected as well. This will help keep run off out of the pool and add a bit of a safety factor.

Do you have someone who will be doing the concrete repair and adding the new bench and shelf yet? I imagine most of the plumbing will be changing locations so you might want to get a clear plan for construction and plumbing before just digging all the way around the pool. I would definitely have them dig out around and under any skimmers and dig out any the damaged area (at least a few feet past the damaged area on the outside so it can be cleaned and inspected. If you see some cracks on the inside have them dig down on the outside to see if the cracks go all the way through. I would also have them dig down alt least 1' all the way around the pool so the beam can be properly inspected as well. This will help keep run off out of the pool and add a bit of a safety factor.

Rich D,

Thanks for the feedback, i will have them dig out the mentioned areas. So far the only damage is that area in 1st picture. that wall is much thinner not sure why! I did watch a few youtube videos on re-pluming pools they were mainly going from copper to PVC. I imagine this should be do different it was build in the 70's. It was straight forward drill wholes all the way through trench and plumb.

Day 2 of dig-out!

Can one of you many experts answer/clarify a few questions/answers;

1. i have seen a few forums talking about not using bottom of the pool drains. ?

2. How many lines should i be looking for (skimmer, return line, etc...) I imagine it will depend on water features ( water falls, etc... ) just trying to get an idea

3. how does the community feel about inline vacuums vs. robots! Pros' vs Cons.

Please add anything else i have forgot. Thanks in advance for everyones inputs and advise

Reactions: Pat60
Do you plan on doing the plumbing yourself?

At this point in time, what parts of this project do you have planned to sub out?
Rich D,

As much as I would love to do the plumbing. Might be outside my skill set... Lol
I have done full on sprinkler systems, which makes me think I can handle it.
I plan has evolved - plan is to sub out everything that is pool proper,( construction, plaster, plumbing, equipment.

My dig was quoted at 3k but jumped to 5k because of lots of trash in the dirt. We agreed on flat fee 5k including trenches and grading... Bonus remove the rest of my front lawn.

15975922310866273794625450209052.jpgWhat parts of the job would you recommend diy...

Main drain aka bottom drain-they are not a HAVE to have in a pool. IF you do have one it has to be VGB ( Virginia Graeme Baker rule). This can be done two ways as seen in these links:

Now saying that you do not have to have one BUT with a pool that deep it might be useful to help mix the water from the deep end (cooler) with the top water (warmer). You could also put a deep end return to help mix the water. That would be easier to do.

I am guessing there is going to be one skimmer and maybe 3 or 4 returns. That is very common for the time period.

ROBOT cleaner all of the way!!!! If/when Lil' Kim goes I will be replacing her with another robot!!!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
plan is to sub out everything that is pool proper,( construction, plaster, plumbing, equipment.

Ahhh. Okay...from your previous post it sounded like you were headed to the tool shed to grab the coring bit and the jackhammer and get busy... 🤣

What parts of the job would you recommend diy
The swimming part.. 🤣

Most things pool related are fairly specialized. you could easily make mistakes that would cost you more than you would ever save with a diy..

End of day 2

Here are a few updates pool is completely dug out. Only 1 area of damage. No puncture holes anywhere. Operators did a great job minimizing the gouging.

So know what????? Lol

First, I plan on cleaning the are up a little. Undesided if I'm going to pressure wash. ( Don't see the point if it going to get stripped of plaster.

Undesided if I should try and push water or air though lines.

Any thoughts or suggestions 😅IMG_20200817_103509772_HDR.jpgIMG_20200817_103712774_HDR.jpgIMG_20200817_103623351_HDR.jpgIMG_20200817_103456321.jpgIMG_20200817_103258656_HDR.jpgIMG_20200817_103249031_HDR.jpg

He sure did do a good job! Some skills right there!

I would clean it up with water just to see it and it will be less work for the plaster people so........might save you are penny or two.

Lines-I would use water as it might help wash out any dirt in the lines. I would plan on going from both sides to work the dirt or such back and forth if needed.

Reactions: ManiacalMama
I was going to say the same as kimkats. When they chip out plaster it isn't a 100% chipout, it was more like 90%. You don't want some dirt there to prevent adhesion of the new plaster. So if you own a pressure washer have at it! As far as the plumbing lines go...I know nothing about that, the most I have experience with is flushing irrigation lines.

So it was one of those that had the returns push the water and stuff to the skimmer in a straight line! Interesting!

Kim:kim:
I live in the same general area as Luckycoffin and my returns and skimmer configuration are quite similar. Wonder if it was the same builder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.