OB Northern California (Roseville) Rehab / buried

Yeah, it is a little concerning, 12ft is the furthest distance from rear fence line which has the powerlines over head. The single line across the pool is just tv cable. Undecided if we are going to do a power panel upgrade and run power under ground on the left side of property i will post pictures soon

Below is the National Electrical Code

680.8 Overhead Conductor Clearances.
(A) Pools, spas, hot tubs, diving structures, observation stands, towers or platforms shall not be placed under or within 10 ft of service drop conductors or open overhead wiring.
(B) Communications Systems. Communications cables, such as telephone, radio and CATV cables within the scope of Articles 800 through 820 shall be located no less than 10 ft from the water’s edge of swimming and wading pools, diving structures, observation stands, towers or platforms.
(C) Network-Powered Broadband Communications Systems. Overhead network-powered broadband communications systems conductors shall be located no less than 22.5 ft from the water’s edge of swimming and wading pools or base of diving structures, and not less than 14.5 ft clearance in any direction to observation stands, towers, or diving platforms.

Thanks, what do you think of the design? Is 2 baja shelfs too much?
For me, even one is too much. We have one, and it is virtually dead space. Instead, if we could do it over, we'd have steps the full width of one end of the pool. Steps give multiple depths of water for people sit waist deep, shoulder deep, etc. while still leaving room for people to get in and out. Just one opinion. Well, two counting my wife's.

Regarding baja shelfs... The more I see how my wife actually uses our pool, I'm beginning to think even one is too much. I sit along the edge of it quite a bit, and when we have people over, there are always 1 or 2 people sitting along it, but it is seldom that I see anyone sitting in the loungers. After using it, I would prefer to have that space full depth. But I did want all the features of a resort, so we have the baja shelf with loungers. IF, and that is a big IF, we ever sell the house ( not planning on it, this is slated to be our forever home), then I think all of the fancy stuff might be a good selling point, for those that want a pool.

--Jeff

For me, even one is too much. We have one, and it is virtually dead space. Instead, if we could do it over, we'd have steps the full width of one end of the pool. Steps give multiple depths of water for people sit waist deep, shoulder deep, etc. while still leaving room for people to get in and out. Just one opinion. Well, two counting my wife's.

Thanks for the feedback, i'm being to think 2 might be over kill.

Regarding baja shelfs... The more I see how my wife actually uses our pool, I'm beginning to think even one is too much. I sit along the edge of it quite a bit, and when we have people over, there are always 1 or 2 people sitting along it, but it is seldom that I see anyone sitting in the loungers. After using it, I would prefer to have that space full depth. But I did want all the features of a resort, so we have the baja shelf with loungers. IF, and that is a big IF, we ever sell the house ( not planning on it, this is slated to be our forever home), then I think all of the fancy stuff might be a good selling point, for those that want a pool.

--Jeff

Yeah, that's kind of the same reason we are adding the shelfs. well im hoping that is something we can change if we decide once the forms are laid and we see the actual spacing.

Hi Neighbor!
We had a baja shelf added to ours during our replaster and I love it. I will sit on it in a chair and read a lot and our 2 year old grandson loves to wade around on it and then jump off into the deeper water from it. So far it's been a worth while investment for us. Ours isn't very big; just wide enough for our Adirondack chairs. Just deep enough so our bums and legs are in the water (14.5" deep). You have to decide who is going to be using the pool the most and when they are what do they like to do? I am a "sit/float with my adult drink and read my novel" kinda gal, so the shelf made perfect sense to me.
1597119875893.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We included an 11' x 6' Baja shelf, 9 to 10 inches deep (depending on pool level), in our build and I don't regret it. Despite our original plans, we have not added furniture to it. It is popular for those who want to get into the pool gradually and is fantastic for little kids while learning to swim. It generally adds interest to the pool overall and with kids, especially, it serves multiple other purposes - it's another place to jump off of, sneak around during Marco Polo, and an excellent launch pad for pool floats.

However, what is even more popular with everyone is the bench alongside the deep end. It's 10' long, 18" wide, and the "seat" level is 18" below the water line. Adults like to sit there with a drink and kids use it in their games. It makes the pool way more versatile. We added a step in the corner, so it also provides a quick and easy way to get in and out of the deep end of the pool.

The benefit I realized with both the Baja shelf and the bench is that they give people a place to hang out and/or take a break from swimming without actually getting out of the pool. As a result, I really think people stay in the pool longer.

So, I would say include a Baja shelf for sure if you think you might use it at all, but I think the second one might be overkill. I would try and find a way to include more edge seating instead, whether it's a bench along a deeper area or long steps as mentioned by BowserB.

Finally, I would add to make sure there is enough depth in seating areas so that swimmers can stay fairly submerged. One of the problems with using a Baja shelf as a seat is that the water is often quite shallow (6 to 12 inches). This leaves you pretty exposed and you can start to feel cold pretty quickly. Obliviously that's not a problem if you are dry and sitting on a chair with just your feet in the water.

Good luck. This pool looks like a fantastic project and I will be checking back here to see how it progresses!

Thanks, what do you think of the design? Is 2 baja shelfs too much?
I think two is not needed - one is great. We use ours all the time - mostly sitting in adirondack chairs under the umbrella (recommend an umbrella holder in the shelf), bubblers on, having a beverage of some sort and just chatting; or I sit there as a break from yard work when I don't want to get all the way in yet but need that cooling down for a while! I don't really see where having two separated shelves would be too useful.
I've skimmed through the thread, and I thought I read it was a rehab of a buried pool but now it looks like you've demo'd the entire pool out and are changing it's shape, so is this effectively a new pool build? Why the shape change at the bottom of the picture where you drew the red lines? Maybe just do the one shelf off of the longer side and then leave the other end as it used to be rather than make it smaller? Better/longer swim lane that way.

I think two is not needed - one is great. We use ours all the time - mostly sitting in adirondack chairs under the umbrella (recommend an umbrella holder in the shelf), bubblers on, having a beverage of some sort and just chatting; or I sit there as a break from yard work when I don't want to get all the way in yet but need that cooling down for a while! I don't really see where having two separated shelves would be too useful.
I've skimmed through the thread, and I thought I read it was a rehab of a buried pool but now it looks like you've demo'd the entire pool out and are changing it's shape, so is this effectively a new pool build? Why the shape change at the bottom of the picture where you drew the red lines? Maybe just do the one shelf off of the longer side and then leave the other end as it used to be rather than make it smaller? Better/longer swim lane that way.
PCR,

thanks for the feedback. We have decided that 2 bajas' is to many. The pool is still under there, we where on the middle of a refi- and got called out for tripping hazards. I ended up removing the coping and pushing dirt against pool walls. We are going back to the original shape with some changes. Adding Spa, baja, bench and bring in the lower right wall away from the big tree ( see ruff sketch) Open to suggestions and thoughts.

decision points;

1. Spa in the middle like sketch?Pool Sketch.JPG
2. Spa left or right with steps attached to open swim lane?2020-08-14-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Neighbor!
We had a baja shelf added to ours during our replaster and I love it. I will sit on it in a chair and read a lot and our 2 year old grandson loves to wade around on it and then jump off into the deeper water from it. So far it's been a worth while investment for us. Ours isn't very big; just wide enough for our Adirondack chairs. Just deep enough so our bums and legs are in the water (14.5" deep). You have to decide who is going to be using the pool the most and when they are what do they like to do? I am a "sit/float with my adult drink and read my novel" kinda gal, so the shelf made perfect sense to me.
View attachment 157678
That looks great! The pool is mainly for the kids/(fish) lol.... 6 and 9. Would you mind sharing the info of the company who did your plaster/upgrades.

The pool is still under there, we where on the middle of a refi- and got called out for tripping hazards.

Hopefully you can close the refi by month end as Fannie and Freddie have just tacked on a new fee to start Sept 1st.

Hopefully you can close the refi by month end as Fannie and Freddie have just tacked on a new fee to start Sept 1st.

That's the plan! locked in at 2.25

HELP!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!

Looks like excavation/dig-out is set to begin tomorrow. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated...

Obvious ones-
1. minimize gouging
2.?????

Maybe's
1. have them excavate pluming lines
2. ????

Concerns
1. Any issues with leaving pool empty for a few weeks during remodel. (location California water table should not be an issue)
2. Safety - will cord off area
3.????

Stand out there and watch them! They will be much more careful if they KNOW they are being watched. Now if you "butter them up" by having a cooler full of gatoraid and water and maybe some yummies to snack on things will go much better!
Yes! It's soooo hot out here right now too. Up to 109 for the next 5 days! I drag our big ice chest out for our trades in the summer and fill it with water, gatorade, sodas, etc. They always seem to really appreciate it. Also, I set out some umbrellas and folding chairs for the occasional rest/break. Don't need them keeling over from heat exhaustion!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.