OB in NoVA (Dig Starts tomorrow 6/8)

uvavi8r

Gold Supporter
Aug 8, 2020
Falls Church, VA
We have our install date, the installers will be here on the 19th...but things are getting real now. The electrician is coming tomorrow, and we have the fence supplies for getting the fence up to code. I will keep posting as we move through the install (Leisure Elegance 26) with the following equipment.

Fence Material.jpg

Earlier post

Well, we have permits...while not the easiest thing to do, the county was VERY helpful in the process.

FYI - any one in NoVA (Fairfax County, VA) you will need to pay an additional fee to get "wet stamped" plans. Not much, it was an additional $350. The county has also streamlined the application process (after I made my submission), so it should be a bit easier for folks looking to manage their installations on their own (FTR, I now work for the USN in acquisitions, so cost, schedule and performance are my day to day life...). If anyone has questions or would like to discuss the process, just drop me a PM.

As a reminder, we are installing a Leisure pool (Elegance 26) fiberglass pool with the following equipment:
We are using the installers provided/recommended by LP (as there were no authorized dealers in our area), I will keep the forum posted on developments (goods and others) and I should have the ability to post time lapse.

We are excited...While having the back yard chewed up during the holiday season isn't optimal...we do feel that the timing couldn't be better for our enjoyment next year. Here is the pool layout we went with...we live in Falls Church, VA so yard space is fairly limited and we thought this maximized out utility of the back yard.
1605963973730.jpeg

1605964020887.jpeg

Attachments

• Fence Material.jpg
    Fence Material.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Oooh...keep us posted with lots of pictures!
Is your lot line on the back at the fence, or do you have a bit more behind it? The pool looks so close to it I worry about your local codes? Do they require any certain amount of space?

One suggestion- although that 200sf filter will work fine, it will require more frequent cleaning out than a larger filter. Some folks move up on filter size to avoid extra work. Check out the price of an upgrade.

Maddie :flower:

Our local code is 5 feet from the lot line, we have 10' to the fence and a bit on the other side of the fence. I hear you on the larger filter, we went with the 200SF RP because of the size...I have a very small area to put the pool equipment. I have an extra set of filters to make life a bit easier.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Our local code is 5 feet from the lot line, we have 10' to the fence and a bit on the other side of the fence. I hear you on the larger filter, we went with the 200SF RP because of the size...I have a very small area to put the pool equipment. I have an extra set of filters to make life a bit easier.
Boy am I glad I found this. Congrats on taking the plunge. I'm scheduled for April 19th. Electrician's and plumbers are coming in the next few weeks to install sub amp and gas line. Really interested in how things go and I have close to a million questions for you!

Today was a good day...lots of outdoor work in preparation for the PB coming on the 19th, I bumped the fence out to accommodate the equipment pad, tomorrow is getting the rest of the fence to code. Not sure I want to move, mix and pour (15) 80 Lbs of concrete again (with the help of my loving and hard working wife of course). I can say that it is a tad satisfying as I sit here with a cold beverage to reflect on what we got done today.

IMG_0140.jpg

So nice that your fence easily accommodated a code passing update. Looks like it was always that way. The best kind of improvement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Delayed due to installer, not getting good communication from them right now. Not sure when we might start at this time, we are going on our 3rd week of delay. I understand that weather and other issues will cause delays, just looking for communication. Working on the stuff helps me not think or worry about it.

I am glad you have only dry fit things since it looks like all of your 90s are small hub DWV fittinsg instead of the proper schedule 40 deep hub fittings. I suspect you picked those up in a big box store in the plumbing section.

Read about types of PVC in...

PVC Fittings Online has a TON of PVC parts you can't find at HD or Lowes and shipping is affordable. They have a lot of the hard to find stuff like a 2" 90 with a 1" tee

Quick question for the experts regarding the plumbing layout:
  • Do I need a heater bypass?
  • Do I need to change the positioning of the SWG (Pentair manual says vertical mounting for "best performance"
  • Should I incorporate a drain valve? The filter has a drain near the bottom, would this work?

Quick question for the experts regarding the plumbing layout:
  • Do I need a heater bypass?

Highly recommended.

• Do I need to change the positioning of the SWG (Pentair manual says vertical mounting for "best performance"

It does not make a lot of difference in performance if you mount it horizontal or vertical. Do whatever works best for your setup.

More important For best flow sensing, provide at least 12"-18" of straight pipe infront of the cell inlet.
  • Should I incorporate a drain valve? The filter has a drain near the bottom, would this work?

Yes, you should incorporate a drain mechanism with an appropriate runoff to use if you want to lower the pool water level by and inch or two before or after a big storm. That is the only time you will use an equipment pad drain.

If you need to drain below the skimmer or the entire pool you should use a submersible pump.

Other items:
  • Your filter is way undersized. A larger filter will serve you better and require cleaning less often. The size filter you have will be problematic if you ever get a big algae bloom.
  • Your water bond device should be placed by the return, not suction. Pumps can lose prime when off and you lose the water bond. There should always be water on the return side to maintain a water bond.
  • Check that you have 5X the suction pipe diameter before the pump suction inlet.

Delayed due to installer, not getting good communication from them right now. Not sure when we might start at this time, we are going on our 3rd week of delay. I understand that weather and other issues will cause delays, just looking for communication. Working on the stuff helps me not think or worry about it.
Are you in direct conversation with the installer or is everything still run through Luis? Yeah I get keeping your mind occupied.

My electrician just got the sub amp and an outlet installed out by the equipment pad. Plumbers arrive tomorrow to run the gas to the pad. I plan on reaching out to Luis this week to see about timing and hopefully be able to speak with installers. Hang in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.