OB in Gilbert, AZ - Pool Rookie starting out

Jul 24, 2017
Gilbert, AZ
Pool rookie here working on a small play pool. Wife, 3 young kids, dog, and cat are all looking forward to something to fill the dirt lot behind our new home.

Insert pool here:

fRJtiSt.jpg

My Brother-in-law (BIL) is with Zodiac Pool Systems, so between him and his co-worker contacts who have OB'd before, I'm getting a lot of help. That being said, it's becoming more clear to me that I'm going to need all the help I can get so I thought I'd start a thread here to show progress and get feedback and advice. Apologizing in advance because I'm going to be asking a lot of stipid questions!

Goals and Design Notes:
-Want to maintain some grass in the yard (dog(s)), but add a lot of decking along with the pool.
-A small ~24" rise at the back of our lot lends itself well to a raised rear bond beam wall and rear planter.
-We like the look of geometric pools, and wanted a large baja step area to lounge in.

I designed the pool in Sketchup for dimensions/layout, and some basic concept visualization. Forgive the textures, they weren't really the focus... in general it's no pro job but it did the trick...

c5R1P9f.jpg

1XJdIwd.jpg

YmeHx5a.jpg

Pool dimensions:
27' x 19'/15', 430 sq ft surface, 15680 gal (not large)
4', 5.5', 4.5' (not deep)

Materials:
My wife has specifics all listed out, so I will update and post pics when she gives them to me, but the plan is tumbled travertine decking, coping and wall caps, stacked stone veneer on the wall, Wet Edge Pebble Prism "Kaleidescope" color interior finish, Noble 6" teal waterline tile, 1"x2 teal step accent tile, two 24" smooth scuppers in the wide columns, with 2 Grand Effects gas fire bowls on top, 3 LED bubblers on the baja.

KMKLIej.jpg

lO7ltfT.jpg

EQkmjG2.jpg

I9wTnUe.jpg

XxcFcRw.jpg

Equipment:
I'm working with my BIL on the equipment, and here's what I have confirmed with him so far. The rest we will be locking in this weekend and I'll update.
Jandy VS ePump 2.0hp
Jandy CV460D Cartridge
Jandy PDA-P4 w/iAqualink RS-P4 automation
Jandy JE3000TR Heat Pump
Caretaker In-Floor Cleaning System
A&A QuikDekClor ANA-201-819

Current status:
We have Plans and Engineering done, and the whole package is submitted for permits and HOA approvals as of earlier this week. Hoping to hear back soon.

Next steps:
I need bids! HAVE TO make the time to start calling subs and getting quotes this coming week.

Trying to put a big hole in the ground and fill it with water is a much more consuming process than I ever imagined...

Hi! I love your design! It's not small at all by my standards, but then I'm in the middle of building a 10 x 20 foot pool. It looks like you have already put a lot of thought into the plan and great that you have people in the know to help. Looking forward to following your build.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: The pool set-up looks great. The only concern I see is the in-line chlorination. By that do you mean chlorine tabs in a tower, or some sort of liquid stenner chlorination plumbed-in? That's important because if the quote includes a simple tablet/puck holder, you'll want to understand that those tabs/pucks are not designed for constant use. If you use them exclusively, you will increase your stabilizer level (CYA) to such high levels you'll have to drain water later - the only way to lower CYA. SO pools like that, including my own, require manually adding regular bleach (chlorine) which is stabilizer-free. If you want to break free of manually adding a little bleach each day, you might look into a Salt Water Generator (SWG). I still add a little bleach each day, not a big deal for me right now. But others prefer the SWG just to avoid the manual dosing. Figured I'd put that out there for you. Nice to have you with us.

LOVE IT ALL!! Pool AND a grass are for the dogs and kids! Will the grass be real grass :shock: or fake?

Ask you wife is she has seen these:

https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Elegance-SE24B-Lighted-Spillway/dp/B00NT8SHCI/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_86_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YM0551741D1QYTM48TGC

Your shelf-how deep will it be?

Which Grand Effects fire bowls? Would be hard to pick as they are all so pretty!

So neat your BIL is able to get you some names and numbers! Try to get at least two just in case one flakes out.

How old are the kids? What kind of dog? Do you think the cat will enjoy the pool? Now don't laugh as we had one cat on a build that helped with everything! Not sure she got in the water though LOL

Kim:kim:

riley and Pat - Thanks for your comments. I clearly dont know enough yet about chlorination methods. Wife is dead set against Salt, partually due to up-front cost, but mostly because she's concerned about long-term damage and/or maintenance to decking and materials. So with a SWG out, I assumed tabs in a tower was only only option. Looking at my plans, and recalling BIL conversations, looks like we currently have chlorination in the deck...not sure I like this. I will confirm this weekend, but I'm certainly open to better suggestions... just cant be Salt... trust me, I've tried.

Kim - Hi, thanks for the welcome. Real grass, despite my loathing for mowing. We still havent nailed down scuppers and those look neat, I will show her. Concerns about being plastic vs the copper/stainless ones? We had chosen the "Garden Bowl" in dark walnut concrete. Shelf is 18" deep, wanted to be able to lounge with water at mid body level. Kiddos are 9G, 7B, 4G, all swimmers and excited. Dog is a 12 yr old Pug, Cat is inside only... so, not swimmers and couldnt care less haha!

I'll add more pics when I figure out how to add more attachments...

just cant be Salt
No problem. Then you might check with your sources and inquire about a Stenner-type pump/injector that can be used to dispense liquid chlorine at a desired rate. If that's not something you care to pursue right now, perhaps make sure there is room in the plumbing at the equipment pad after the filter to add one later if you chose. Otherwise, you'll want to count on adding a little regular bleach (sodium hypochlorite- same as liquid pool shock) to your water each day. In one season alone, chlorine tabs/pucks will drive your CYA through the roof. Pool stores don't tell you about that important piece of knowledge. Good luck with the build, and keep us posted. We love pics! Have a nice weekend.

We will get you all set up for the chlorine without the SWG. You can be a jug hauler like me. I go to my local liquid place every 12 days during the summer. I have a deposit on 4 2.5gal "carboys" for a total of 10 gals. I use 1/3 of a jug each evening. During the winter the 10 gals will last me most of the burrr time. My pool holds 25,600 gals of water so is a big thing!

You can do a search for the Stenner set up. There are several threads on it.

The scuppers-I have not heard of any concerns over any kind. You might be able to do a search using plastic scupper and copper scupper and see what you find.

Spent some time with the BIL this past weekend getting straight on equipment (some of which is now sitting in my garage!)

MmQWVJF.jpg

Lots to still get on order of course.

I updated the equipment list in my previous post and in signature, but here it is also:

Jandy VS ePump 2.0hp
Jandy CV460D Cartridge
Jandy PDA-P4 w/iAqualink RS-P4 automation
Jandy JE3000TR Heat Pump/Chiller
Caretaker In-Floor Cleaning System
A&A QuikDekClor ANA-201-819

Regarding chlorination - I clearly misunderstood and assumed in-deck was the same as in-line... nope (obviously, now). The BIL and his co-workers have used, owned, and maintained several pools using the QuikDekClor unit above and we think it will work well. I am heeding the advice above though and will make sure I have space on the pad for a future chlorination unit there if needed someday.

Spent a fair amount of time today calling around to subs... if anyone has a good Tile installer recommendation, I'd very much appreciate it... I struck out today.

Today's good news though, permits came through!

Regarding the Heat Pump/Chiller - Wife and I are going round and round about it... for those in AZ with a Heat Pump/Chiller, do you feel like it's worth it? Heat, Chill, or both?

Thanks!

I'm just renting (for two more weeks until moving into first home!), but our pool at the rental house got up around 93 degrees this summer without the aerator running. The aerator would surely knock off a few degrees, but a chiller would have probably been nice to have. We may consider it on our OB pool at the new house. If you care to share any of your subs, I'd be all ears! Feel free to PM me. Good luck with the build!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like the child labor for the equipment the best! LOL SO CUTE!

Now some stuff to think about:
In essence the indeck is the same as the inline as it does the same thing just at a different place. If you use the tablets as your only source of chlorine you will have a problem on your hands after a while. The tablets are oh so easy BUT they add extra stuff to your water. Most add CYA (stabilizer). After a while you will have so much CYA you will not be able to get enough FC (free chlorine) in your water to keep algae at bay. Here is a chart to show you the relationship between the two: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

The only way to lower CYA levels in a pool is to drain and refill when it gets too high. Now if you get a lot of rain in your area or your close in the winter month and when doing so lower the water then you may be okay as that will remove some of the CYA due to water turn over.

On the heater/chiller....you can do the same thing as the chlorine stuff..........wait to see if you want it and install it at a later day. Leave room for it and have everything plumbed/set up with it in mind. Then you can say "I told you so!" down the road OR eat crow LOL

Travis,
I'm a G.C. in Scottsdale, building a new house in fountain hills, the first for a very particular client [my wife]. I've supervised
several pools in the past during new home construction, but since this house is for me, I'm watching the budget. Like you, I
have designed the pool [plot plan] but am struggling to find a good designer/ draftsman and structural engineer that aren't
online entities. Would you mind telling me who you used to get the plans completed.
I'e attached a site plan/plot of the pool. I've contacted several online design services, but none are understanding the structural
issues of dealing with the support column for the patio roof [ see arrow on plan ] next to the pool.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• Del sol POOL site BLOW-up 001.jpg
    Del sol POOL site BLOW-up 001.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 293
After finally getting bids and financing sorted, I'm actually scheduling. Dig is scheduled for April 4th.

Question for everyone regarding hardscaping materials...

Planning on travertine deck and coping, and part of that will overlay the existing "stock" slab patio. What thicknesses do you recommend for the travertine pavers? I see it's available in 1.25" and 2" nearly everywhere, so I thought about 1.25" for all: deck including patio overlay, and coping (bullnosed). Is there something else I should be think about? What are your recommendations?

Thanks!

Congratulations on finding a builder! Your dig is so close. Love all the equipment you have already, you’re very organised. I think our travertine decking is only 30mm. Word of advice, if you haven’t chosen your grout colours yet, put some thought into it now so you’re not stuck trying to decide at the last minute like me.

4/3/18 - Layout

My layout guy contacted me beforehand to alert me about my RBB wall near the party wall of the property. After some misinterpretations all around of Town of Gilbert code, we ended up moving the pool 12" closer to the house to give more clearance. Hindsight now, I'm very glad we did this.

atgCV5C.jpg

4/13/18 - Dig Day

After a few scheduling hiccups (and a few more), we finally broke ground. 3 guys over about a day and a half knocked out a giant trench and a giant hole in our yard! Great crew, and even signed their work. The kids asked if we could get the hose and start filling it up :D

HxwP63k.jpg

0t2DlFG.jpg

owj082g.jpg

g468Xk5.jpg

T7rYUsR.jpg

kep8PNM.jpg

gOf8LxT.jpg

xk2KZXu.jpg

4/17/18 - Plumbing

I had no idea how much plumbing... I guess I knew, but see it go in... wow.

I asked for the equipment pad to be kept as tight to the house as possible and I love his solution. I'm no expert, but this pad is impressive to me... very pleased!

opnYrh8.jpg

Rt7vjEi.jpg

qY4uo6E.jpg

EAh9OhA.jpg

m6IWeg7.jpg

43MEUGf.jpg

8yeOEFc.jpg

z89t6h1.jpg

4pP61Ys.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

4/19/18 - Steel

Two guys, and they were done in 4 hours. I had no idea how fast...

vcf0ilL.jpg

2hWvWWn.jpg

Ofhny0E.jpg

4/21/18 - Gas

Even deeper we go for the gas line... further destroying my once perfect forms! At this point I'm worried, but I'm assured by my BIL that it will all come together in the end...

This was the beginning of the most stressful part of the entire build... making sure everything coordinated correctly at the columns. The gas line needs to stub out approximately as shown here so that the key valves can be installed after shotcrete. And in order to do so, I need to make sure the shotcrete guys leave "sort of a trench" in each column... :confused:

QsYVtrM.jpg

uI5fXc0.jpg

fKmDbDO.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.