Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
Crystal clear pool with FC 6 (for past month), just turned green. I'll assume it's because of very windy day and maybe 10 bushels of Oak catkins in the pool (I remove at least a bushel a day).

How often should I backwash? Will the green get filtered out? Should I crank up SWG to keep FC higher than normal?

If the green is algae, you'll need to go right into a SLAM Process. The SWG will do nothing to kill algae, neither will the filter. If you are unsure about the origin of the green color or if it's algae, do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test first to be sure that way you know what you are dealing with. As always, backwash when your filter pressure increases by about 25%.

I had about 80 red and white oaks with the same daily bushels. I'd go cloudy / milky for 2 or 3 weeks each spring. The FC never dipped but I had an IC60 supplying it so maybe it would have otherwise. You'd be wise to run 1-2 FC above target until it clears.

Perform a OCLT once a week until its clear. All you want is proof that it's still just pollen. You are basically at the waiting stage of a SLAM and it tests anyone's patience, even with 24/7 filtering.

Reactions: tcat
I use Fiber Clear in my DE filter. Was wondering if backwashing weekly until cr@p stops falling in the pool, without adding the fiber clear, is wise. Then add the fiber clear in a couple weeks. The DE filters are as fine as my silt net. Or is it the fiber clear that gets rid of the color? Just not sure how microscopic the oak pollen is.

I am also going through this. I can't trust the OCLT as catkins are falling into the pool 24/7. Just keep FC above normal and then do the OCLT after. We are almost through it. Your SWG may not keep up and could need to supplement with liquid chlorine.

And if it is indeed algae you'll want to start SLAM. My pool has no green tint. clear. just using more than normal FC.

Can anyone explain to me how catkins, leaves, acorns, pine cones, grass clippings, mulch, or any other type of flora falling in your pool can cause algae or a ‘cloudy’ pool? I have never experienced that. I don’t leave the stuff in my pool for weeks of course and I keep the vast majority out of my filter by skimming with filter socks and vacuuming with a robot. My pool remains gin clear throughout. What am I missing?

Was wondering if backwashing weekly until cr@p stops falling in the pool, without adding the fiber clear, is wise.
No. Most DE filter manufacturers allow the filter to run uncoated only as long as it takes to dump DE into the skimmer. I don't know what model filter you have, other than it's made by Pentair, but this is from the manual for the Pentair FNS Plus series:

Screenshot_20220420-144502.png
Check the manual for your filter.

Can anyone explain to me how catkins, leaves, acorns, pine cones, grass clippings, mulch, or any other type of flora falling in your pool can cause algae or a ‘cloudy’ pool? I have never experienced that. I don’t leave the stuff in my pool for weeks of course and I keep the vast majority out of my filter by skimming with filter socks and vacuuming with a robot. My pool remains gin clear throughout. What am I missing?
I just assumed the FC was being used up on those things, trying to break them down, they way it would with algae? Then the FC level drops and algae forms? Just a guess. I'm sure there are some smart science people out here who will know for sure.

Reactions: Eauclaire

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They can jack up the phosphates sky high to the point where if you have even the slightest drop in FC, you can get an algae bloom.

There are definitely more qualified folks to answer that one :) Algae spores are constantly entering the pool through wind, swimsuits, etc. Chlorine is eating through them along with these flora organics. Algae also now has more phosphate food from the organics, but also a place to hang out and collect (all the Crud floating in the pool).

No. Most DE filter manufacturers allow the filter to run uncoated only as long as it takes to dump DE into the skimmer. I don't know what model filter you have, other than it's made by Pentair, but this is from the manual for the Pentair FNS Plus series:

View attachment 402925
Check the manual for your filter.
Damage in 3 minutes seems very odd. When I do spring cleaning the media is not spread out real evenly, with some areas looking like "bare" filter. I always put a couple cups in after a backwash, just wondered if necessary if backwashing weekly. Seems every pool item has about doubled in cost in the past year!

Just want to shake these trees until all the cr@p falls off! This is shot straight above pool. FC at 10 (slam), brushed, pump turn into 24/7.

Attachments

• PXL_20220420_213729848.jpg
    PXL_20220420_213729848.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 17
When I do spring cleaning the media is not spread out real evenly, with some areas looking like "bare" filter. I always put a couple cups in after a backwash, just wondered if necessary if backwashing weekly.
When you backwash, most of the DE should wash out. You shouldn't need to backwash weekly. Is your filter pressure rising that quickly?

I'm also in Austin, and you are not alone. Im fighting what i think are the beginnings of an algae bloom although i currently meet the criteria for ending a SLAM i have not yet started - clear water, less than 0.5 ppm CC, and a passed OCLT and yet the pollen / algae persist.

When you backwash, most of the DE should wash out. You shouldn't need to backwash weekly. Is your filter pressure rising that quickly?
I only backwash each week or two when pollen is dropping. Lots of oak catkin "beads" and pollen coat it fairly quickly. Pressure doesn't go up too much, but I like to keep algae from growing on the filter. Maybe not necessary, but anything to prevent algae... but too late... Was surprised it was such a fast bloom. My FC had been 6-8 for a week and I just bumped up SWG one led. CYA 60-70, PH 7.5. I've been clearing the catkins daily (two 50g trash bags this week). I hadn't been checking CC, assuming keeping FC above 6 would suffice.

Seems good today. Only 1 slam round (2g chlorine), dropped 1 last night. Haven't had CC on any tests. Pool clear (other than oak still falling). Will set SWG on 4 or 5 for a while (was on 3).

Reactions: walkinpool
I am in Georgia and have similar Crud. Hair nets on the skimmer baskets filter out a lot of the pollen junk and help keep pool and filter cleaner.
I never used them ( owned pools for 30 years ) until a year or so back and it helped a lot. I could be a hair net sales guy, I believe in them so much but when they are $7 for 100 I may go broke 😇
Down side is you have to watch and change the often when your trees are on full attack mode or they can stop up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.