Jole117

Jul 6, 2022
Baltimore, Maryland
Preface: I’m a complete beginner and was basically thrown to the wolves to figure this out and I’m struggling!! Help!

So about a week ago I found two O-rings in my filter basket. I have no idea where they go?! Ideas? Maybe the return jets?

Today my booster pump is making a weird noise when I tried running it..almost whooshing sounds in the filter basket..the filter basket should be filled with water right?

When I ran my pressure vacuum from the booster pump line, I noticed water was being sucked hard and fast down through the skimmer baskets of the other two return lines..is that normal?

Also…Should water be coming out of the booster pump return line when the booster pump is not turned on but the filter pump is on?

I let out of the gauge but I’m worried about air being in there somewhere and I’m so confused! Any help would be appreciated:)

Preface: I’m a complete beginner and was basically thrown to the wolves to figure this out and I’m struggling!! Help!

Welcome. It can feel like a lot to figure out all at once, but pool plumbing actually is logical and you'll be comfortable with it very soon.

So about a week ago I found two O-rings in my filter basket. I have no idea where they go?! Ideas? Maybe the return jets?

Photos would help; O-rings come in various sizes, so knowing the size would help in identifying them. If they're in your filter basket, it's possible that they're O-rings from the skimmer or skimmer float valve.

Today my booster pump is making a weird noise when I tried running it..almost whooshing sounds in the filter basket..the filter basket should be filled with water right?

Yes, filter basket should be filled with water. Booster pumps are not self-priming; they need to have a steady supply of water at the inlet, so your main filter pump must be running whenever the booster pump is on. Ideally, the booster pump won't turn on until the filter pump has been running for at least a few minutes (and it will turn off at least a few minutes before the filter pump turns off).

Were you trying to run the booster pump without also running the filter pump (or while running the filter pump at a very low speed)?

When I ran my pressure vacuum from the booster pump line, I noticed water was being sucked hard and fast down through the skimmer baskets of the other two return lines..is that normal?

It's usually called a pressure cleaner, not a pressure vacuum -- because "pressure" and "vacuum" have sorta opposite meanings -- but yeah, the pressure to run it has to come from somewhere, right? That pressure comes from water that's pulled through the skimmers to the filter pump, then pushed by the filter pump through the filter to the booster pump, then pushed by the booster pump to the pressure cleaner port.

Also, "return lines" are the pipes from the filter back to the pool. The pipes from the skimmers to the pump are "suction lines".

Also…Should water be coming out of the booster pump return line when the booster pump is not turned on but the filter pump is on?

It can. If you look at the plumbing, you'll probably see that the booster pump inlet just comes from a tee in the pool return line. When both pumps are on, the filter pump pushes water through the pool return line at relatively low pressure, and the booster pump takes some of the water that's flowing through the pool return line and pushes it through the pressure cleaner port at a much higher pressure.

When only the filter pump is on, the "relatively low pressure" water being pushed through the pool return line is still at a high enough pressure to also be pushed through the tee, through the inactive booster pump, and to the pressure cleaner port. It won't be enough to actually run the cleaner, but water will probably leak out of the cleaner all over your deck if you pull the cleaner out of the pool while it's still attached to the port.

I let out of the gauge but I’m worried about air being in there somewhere and I’m so confused! Any help would be appreciated:)

If you hear air rushing or rattling through your plumbing, you should be able to clear it by running your filter pump at moderate to high speed for a few minutes. When you no longer hear air in the system, you can crack open the air valve on the filter to let any trapped air escape. When a steady stream of water comes through the valve, all the air has ben purged and you can close the valve.

Thank you so much for your reply! Here is a picture of the oRing I found. There were two in the basket together. There is still air spitting out of the return lines this morning and now the pumps are making loud noises. I just turned everything off.

Attachments

• B97EC551-9889-4D13-9DA6-86FEE8259E02.jpeg
    B97EC551-9889-4D13-9DA6-86FEE8259E02.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 3
That doesn't look like either of the O-rings in my skimmer, but you could check your skimmers and see if there's an obvious place where your mystery O-rings might have come from. If there's a float under the skimmer basket, lift it out and check its underside too.

There isn't a lot of information to work from, but air in the system along with "water was being sucked hard and fast down through the skimmer baskets" could mean that your skimmers are going dry. The pool waterline should be halfway between the top and bottom of the skimmer mouth -- is it?

Could be a number of other things, too, especially since this pool is unfamiliar to you.

I'm not an expert, but a lot of the people here are. Photos of the equipment pad from a couple of angles might help them, and you should also put some information about your pool in your forum signature (https://www.troublefreepool.com/account/signature).

@Jole117 Welcome to TFP!!! I'm sure we can get you straightened out.

Good first step to turn everything off. Need to figure this out and get you back up and running.

Please fill out your signature as @DrewLG indicated. Having a list of the pool equipment is going to help.

The BEST thing that you can do is post pictures of your equipment pad from several angles so we can see all of it. Post a picture of your skimmer pot from the top and from the skimmer door. Is there a weir door on your skimmers?

Finally, were your pump baskets full of water when they were running after you pulled out the "O" rings?
Can you describe the "noise" the pumps were making?
Can you tell us anything that was done to your equipment right before you found the o-rings? (last few days) (like pool was opened yesterday, or pool was fine, I stopped pump to empty the basket, or I heard a noise and decided to open pump).

Post up pics, we'll get you going!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.