O/B in Gilbert, AZ for 2nd time

sweet....they finished the rebar today on ours and i am going to run the conduit for lights and hope to shoot in the next 2 weeks....looks good and i cant wait to get to that point and start cleaning up the mess.
I can't wait for some of these dirt piles to go away. We had to wait for shotcrete to fill in some of the plumbing trenches. I'm tired of dirt!

Have you started bonding with your pool yet? By that I mean watering the shell.... with our 75* plus temps the next few days, it should be tolerable to be outside with a water hose. Maybe a good hose down of the interior of the shell 2-3 times a day - this will help the shell cure and create a stronger structure.

@proavia We definitely have. They told us 3-5 times a day for 5 days. Just got done with the second time today. We bought new hose nozzles and actually need to buy 2 new houses so off to Lowe's today 😊. It was actually chilly watering it yesterday about 5:00 when it was shaded. I couldn't imagine doing that in places that are colder 🥶.

Reactions: Silvio
HELP! We think the spa depth is wrong. I had DH sit in it and he couldn't even touch the bottom when he was sitting. His feet were a good 3" from the bottom and he's 6' tall. We measured and from the bottom of the spa to the bench is 24" and then the seat depth is 21" from the bond beam. What should they be? What can we do? I got in and had a hard time getting out. I know it's different in the water but that was ridiculous. 😩

They can add more shotcrete to any surface to help raise it. Get some paper and make notes and see what the plans call for then go from there.
Does it have to be shotcrete? Is this something we can do? Not really wanting to pay to have the shotcrete company come back out.

@proavia We definitely have. They told us 3-5 times a day for 5 days. Just got done with the second time today. We bought new hose nozzles and actually need to buy 2 new houses so off to Lowe's today 😊. It was actually chilly watering it yesterday about 5:00 when it was shaded. I couldn't imagine doing that in places that are colder 🥶.

Personally, I think 3-5 times daily is better. Twenty years ago we were told at least 3x daily for 2 weeks. And we happened to personally know the shotcrete company owner, so went with that. They shot ours in late October - I remember it being chilly in the early morning and late afternoon.

Reactions: Nikilyn

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I was told not to water our shotcrete in since it is so cold. Instead, they actually covered the whole pool with these large tarps they called concrete blankets for 5 days. Asked both the shotcrete sub and PB about not watering it and they both said the same thing, so I went with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikilyn
@jimmythegreek The plans don't state any specifics about the spa. I posted them at the beginning of this thread. The pipe sticks up 6 1/2" from the spa floor to the bottom of the pipe cap. Even if we could add an inch or two and a step to help get out would be helpful. 0C3738C5-1783-4638-89C5-B9953F9F4B0F.jpeg

I was told not to water our shotcrete in since it is so cold. Instead, they actually covered the whole pool with these large tarps they called concrete blankets for 5 days. Asked both the shotcrete sub and PB not watering it and they both said the same thing, so I went with that.
Interesting. It's amazing how much you can learn of the differences in how things are done across the country.

Reactions: johnywess
Interesting. It's amazing how much you can learn of the differences in how things are done across the country.

Different environments have different construction practices.

Look at the location of a comment when deciding if it is applicable to your situation.

Watering in is for temps above 50 degrees consistently. In a cold climate you would actually protect the concrete from freezing amd allow the natural heat is expels to keep it warm

No issue adding concrete to the floor of spa just have to be careful with the footwell jets they usually space them right in half way point. Up to you if that's ok placement wise. Just need a trough around pipe similar to what's there now around pipes

Reactions: johnywess
No issue adding concrete to the floor of spa just have to be careful with the footwell jets they usually space them right in half way point. Up to you if that's ok placement wise. Just need a trough around pipe similar to what's there now around pipes
What kind of prep work do we need to do to add the concrete? Is there a certain depth for the well around the pipe? We were thinking if we just add 1-2" of concrete and a step to get out we could live with it. Before I thought a step would be in the way but with it so deep we need it to get out and it would also be nice for us short people to put our feet. They asked me if I wanted a step but if the depth had been what we thought it was I didn't want one. Now we do.

As long as the fresh shotcrete is clean you would just need some bonding agent. Its plenty rough to get good adhesion at this stage. I would let the PB do it. You dont wanna do something that would affect performance, he can see 2 steps ahead you may not

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.