nylon string for thermometer

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
What are some alternate solutions for the string that the thermomoter is tied with? Ours keeps on rotting and breaking to the point where it is only a 3 inch string now.

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Some thermometers come with a little stainless steel string of balls (like the pull chain for a fan). After the nylon string disintegrated on our new high-class floaty alligator thermometer, I just rigged it up to use the old pull-chain type leader from our old thermometer.

You could just stick it in the skimmer; it won't float out and probably won't interfere with the skimmer function.

Samantha_in_AL

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 19, 2010
Altoona, AL
I've had the same problem with the nylon string. When mine broke again last weekend I used a piece of clear fishing line to repair it until I could find something better.

Durk

Jun 14, 2007
New Jersey
I have a Taylor stainless thermometer that I took apart and installed an insulated, stranded 14ga. auto electric wire on about 20 years ago. Chlorine fades the color in the insulation but it is pretty much a permanent solution. Eventually the insulation will crack, but at pool temps it lasts much longer than it does in an engine, where it is good for at least 30 years. The exposure of copper to the water is infinitesimal (only at the end), and is contained within the thermometer.

CaOCl2

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2007
Montreal Canada
You can use a length of that nylon twine that's used with "Weed-Eaters" and similar trimmers.

Also, attach some to the skimmer basket (make a handle out of it) on an above ground pool to facilitate removing the basket.

danbutter

May 3, 2009
I used a piece of an old telephone cord early this year due to the same issues of the old one turning to dust and it stayed all season long because A. it didn't break down at all and B. bugs can't climb onto it. I even left the length a bit long...like four or five feet so I could get the temp at the bottom rather than right at the top of the water.

I like the idea about making a line for the skimmer baskets...will have to try that one next year.

CountryBumkin

Bronze Supporter
Jan 9, 2017
Orlando/FL
I used a long piece of leather hiking-boot lacing. So far it seems to last pretty long. Its been in the pool for about a year now (which is much longer than the nylon cord the thermo came with).

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
rajung Everything Else 4

Other Threads of Interest