NW Austin IG Construction -- here we go!

AustinPool2018

Silver Supporter
Apr 22, 2018
Austin, TX
Hello again everyone.

The PB came out yesterday to mark the pool, excavation planned to start next week.
Here are some of the details of my pool from my previous thread: About-to-ink-What-do-you-think.

We're still deciding on the decking material (but have to do so soon, probably concrete paver faux-travertine style from Stone Creek Pavers), the $$$ keep adding up :(

Wanted to get the team's opinion on 1) Skimmer locations, 2) Lighting locations and 3)Return locations. If anything else sticks out, please say so, as excavation coming soon.
Note, the skimmer on the left-hand-side will actually be 5' out of grade, so may look a bit weird, but not sure what other options I really have.

My wife thinks the 8x8 spa is too small, will have to figure out what it would cost to make slightly bigger.

skimmers and lights.jpg

Thanks!

Looks great, congrats and good luck on the build from another Austinite who is just about to sign a contract myself.

I think an 8'x8' spa is quite large - that's water surface? I suppose if you are big entertainers then bigger is better but based on what I have seen that would already be considered a large spa. Nothing beats sitting in one of a similar size, if you haven't already.

I'm also curious who is being chosen in Austin, but I have seen reluctance to post builders here - not sure if that's specific to posting a builder linked to a specific bid. Is it OK to say who I got quotes from? If so, I used Anthony & Sylvan, Reliant, Cody, and Johnson Custom Pools. I think we will sign with Reliant pools this week.

I have been visiting this site on and off for the past 3 years. The amount of Austin pool builds is crazy!

I have been contemplating an owner build, but my wife is highly against it. So it appears that I'm back in the market for a pool builder.

We are currently reaching out to Texas Pools and Patios and Cody Pools. We may reach out to others, so I am also interested in your choice.

We have bids from TPP, A&S and are waiting to hear from Native Waterscapes. I like TPP I think.

I have been visiting this site on and off for the past 3 years. The amount of Austin pool builds is crazy!

I have been contemplating an owner build, but my wife is highly against it. So it appears that I'm back in the market for a pool builder.

We are currently reaching out to Texas Pools and Patios and Cody Pools. We may reach out to others, so I am also interested in your choice.

We have a 7x7 spa being built and we can fit 7 adults comfortably, possibly even 8 in there. Me and my wife sat in it after gunite was shot. We are just waiting on plaster but I think the 8x8 will be a nice size. Keep in mind, those outlines on top of the ground are very deceiving, my PB kept telling me it would look big once the pool was dug, but I was not buying it and made it 4 ft longer. I have to admit, it’s bigger than I thought, getting inside now with Gunite, I feels much bigger than I anticipated.

I'm happy to share my PB through PM, I think the forum prefers to keep these things private to prevent any issues. Will send a PM to those who asked.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, that's very helpful. My spa is actually 7x7, the 8x8 they outlined was actually the excavation lines, which include the coping.

- - - Updated - - -

TPP is a strong contender, but we shall know for sure after their quote tomorrow.

AustinPool2018, I look forward to seeing your build.

Thanks! I adjusted my security cam to catch the majority of the backyard, so will hopefully be able to do multiple time lapses, which I also enjoyed seeing with others' builds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
8/2/2018: Excavation started yesterday!!

Timelapse of my security camera for viewing enjoyment. Already found that the "Sundeck" portion of the pool was not long enough when considering excavation for the coping, PB acknowledged and will address.

I think the skimmer locations are fine. I'm a fan of having them on opposite sides when possible (I see 2 in your plans). Returns opposite them help move water over to them so that's good too (but not necessary). Looks like you don't have trees over the pool so you're fine. If there are any out of sight the biggest thing would be tree location. If you have a tree(s) hanging over parts of the pool then that right below them sees the most debris. I have one skimmer under a tree and one that isn't. The one that's under gets double the debris in it. Others talk about primary wind direction but imo unless you have steady, daily winds it's not a big deal.

Have the skimmers plumbed on separate lines in case one ever fails. This way you still have skimming capability w/o having to rush to fix the out of service skimmer. PB might say that would never happen but insist on it. I worked for a pool co where we dug out the concrete decking in the middle of summer because the homeowner couldn't circulate the water (there was no main drain).

Great yard for a pool!

Hello again everyone.

The PB came out yesterday to mark the pool, excavation planned to start next week.
Here are some of the details of my pool from my previous thread: About-to-ink-What-do-you-think.

We're still deciding on the decking material (but have to do so soon, probably concrete paver faux-travertine style from Stone Creek Pavers), the $$$ keep adding up :(

Wanted to get the team's opinion on 1) Skimmer locations, 2) Lighting locations and 3)Return locations. If anything else sticks out, please say so, as excavation coming soon.
Note, the skimmer on the left-hand-side will actually be 5' out of grade, so may look a bit weird, but not sure what other options I really have.

My wife thinks the 8x8 spa is too small, will have to figure out what it would cost to make slightly bigger.

View attachment 83763

Thanks!

I have a Stone Creek Paver pool deck - Grey Concrete - at my house in NW Austin. Love them. Happy to give you a tour if I am around just send me a PM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.