Numbers I need help.

Apr 22, 2015
atlanta TX
I have no idea where to start. I tried to do a slam last year with no luck i was over 30 days in and i quit. so my kids could swim never did get the numbers that it said I needed. I know i need borax to bring the ph up. I some how cant use the pool calculator as it shows i need like a dump truck load of borax. Im so over this thing. Whats yall take on this. I have been pouring the bleach to it for 6 days now the algae is gone its cloudy now. i have been brushing everyday and back washing daily.

FC 2ppm
CC 2.5
TC 4.5
TA 10
CYA 70
CH 3
PH want even read

What are you using for testing? Our recommended kits don't track TC.

You need to go bak and re-read the SLAM Process instructions. Before adding any chlorine you should
Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn't reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start.

Are you sure TA is 10? Not 100?

CH can't be 3, again it is not a number our test kits will supply.

Please retest (together is nice, you both learn how to test and can double check each other along the way) and provide us with:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

These current results are needed for us to advise you on how best to proceed. We'd like for you to LOVE-Your-Pool instead of hating it!!!! Help us help you :)

Maddie :flower:

Can you tell me which test kit you have? Or post a picture of it?? Your numbers aren't making sense as far as TA and CH go in particular, and I'd hate to steer you wrong based on any of those results yet.

How do you normally chlorinate your pool? What have you put in it? I read its a vinyl pool, right?? How many gallons?? Above ground or inground?

Ok, so next question is how's your filter running? Have you ever deep cleaned or checked the sand for channels? If the sand is downright disgusting or channels have set in which allow water to just run thru instead of filtering thru, it isn't going to work very well.

If you trust your filter than you just need to keep the FC up to the SLAM level and let the filter do its job....which takes patience.

Can you post a picture of the pool tomorrow in the light of day?

The important part of a SLAM is frequent testing and re-dosing throughout the day/evening with daily brushing to stir everything up into circulation.

Sound like a plan you can do??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Filter is fine. How long does a slam take I spend hundreds of dollars last year trying to slam never got down to the number I needed over night. I just stopped and it cleared up in a few days and all readings leveled out. The pool is covered in foam but is clearing up each day. I think I will just get the ph up and keep on keeping on. The slam takes to long to have the same result as adding clearifier to clear it up and after he numbers level out. That's my plan let me know what you think.

So, up above you report FC at 1 ppm. That is why the SLAM isn't working. Every time FC drops down the algae keeps on growing making more algea to kill and making the SLAM take longer. It could literally go on forever if you don't keep the FC up at shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Here is the process that needs to be followed diligently for a successful SLAM, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I am not trying to slam right now. I understand that it has to be shock level for some time for it to work. I did it last year and gave up after a month and over $200.00 in bleach. I never said I was slamming my pool. All I asked for was a little guidance as to what i needed to do with the numbers that i have now. Maybe I am really not understanding is it a requirement to slam your pool every year? there is no algae in my pool now. Sorry if i offended anyone for asking about my numbers. And this is a perfect example as to why I Hate-a-pool.

HAP you can become 1 with your pool, these good folks are giving you the advise that they know and trust. TFP works and we all love it and you could too, but it takes a little homework on the front side. Just grab a cocktail of your choice read pool skool and you will understand water balance. You can take co tell of your pool no one else here can do it for you. You'll be an even greater hero to your kids when they can enjoy a ton of family time in a beautiful pool!

- - - Updated - - -

Quick note, I'm a busy guy as we all are but after a little extra time opening I literally spend less that 10 minutes a day average on my pool. Hope this helps.

Ok, I misunderstood your first post about killing algae and the pool is still cloudy. When following the slam process to kill algae having the water clear is on of the criteria for completing the SLAM Process. No, most folks don't SLAM their pool every year. But if the water id's cloudy or has lage then the pool should be SLAMed.

Your TA has crashed. Add enough baking soda to raise TA to 50 ppm.

I've had my salt water pool for 4 years and have not had to slam. Watch FC and pH and salt levels and the rest kinda follows right along.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.