Now what?

joem1cha3l

May 23, 2020
NY
Let me preface this by saying I just found this forum a day or so ago and I just ordered my TF-100 test kit

You see progress pics below of the last three days of the newly opened pool. All I have to go by right now is the strip test kit until the TF-100 arrives, but I dont want to waste valuable days in the meantime. Should I add anything else? Just need more time?

I triple shocked it yesterday afternoon. I can see bottom in the shallow end but definitely not the deep end and it still has a blue/green hue to the water.

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    687.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    702 KB · Views: 9
An expert should chime in soon.
Good move on TF100!
Not sure what you mean by triple shock but I would just add about 3 to 5 ppm of bleach until your test kit comes in. Nothing else. The Chlorine will keep algae from getting much worse until you have full set of test results.
Use plain bleach, no additives. Usually Lowe’s or Walmart have it in pool section too.

Not much more you can do accept keep the chlorine up until your test kit comes in. If your guess strips could be trusted they show very low or no cyanuric acid (CYA - Stabilizer) so have that on standby to add once you get the TF-100 in.

You are doing great for the tools at your disposal. This is the most important part of the SLAM. The M. Shock level (you did) and *MAINTAIN*. The algae is dying/dead which is why it went blue. You need to keep it dying/dead long enough to filter it out with both the skimmer and vac. This is where people get too busy, or bored and slack a little and BOOM the algae comes right back in hours. No 2 Slams are ever the same but if you keep at it and making sure you stay at the SLAM levels, your SLAM will go much quicker than it would have. Brush the walls, vac the floor, Backwash and deep clean your filter. When your test kit comes it will help you dial in even more, and more importantly, keep it clear for good.

You are doing great for the tools at your disposal. This is the most important part of the SLAM. The M. Shock level (you did) and *MAINTAIN*. The algae is dying/dead which is why it went blue. You need to keep it dying/dead long enough to filter it out with both the skimmer and vac. This is where people get too busy, or bored and slack a little and BOOM the algae comes right back in hours. No 2 Slams are ever the same but if you keep at it and making sure you stay at the SLAM levels, your SLAM will go much quicker than it would have. Brush the walls, vac the floor, Backwash and deep clean your filter. When your test kit comes it will help you dial in even more, and more importantly, keep it clear for good.

based on what you can see from my test strips, it doesn’t appear I need to add any more chlorine at the moment, correct? I’ll monitor throughout the day

based on what you can see from my test strips, it doesn’t appear I need to add any more chlorine at the moment, correct? I’ll monitor throughout the day
Normally 'guess strips' are just that, but seeing how yours is literally burnt from high chlorine, yeah, its plenty high. Actually, way too high and possibly bleach your liner high. Let it get to the '10' color and keep it there with liquid and the pool math app.

Last edited:
Ive only burnt a test strip once. When i reopened my hot tub to sell it after being winterized for 5 years, i dumped a gallon of bleach in and ran it for a day before draining and doing ahhhsome treatments. The 275:1 mixture made the test strip burn like yours. You are HIGH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.