Nothing but issues, first pool in Maryland

Stic2it

Jul 30, 2019
Ijamsville, Md
Evening,

Where do I start! My excavation was started on 20 July, it took them 3 days to complete the job, only to find out it was incorrect. I talked with the excavation crew, let them know my concerns, only to be met with blank stares as if they didn't understand what I was talking about. I reached out to my team and got very little response. After making a bit of noise, the sales guy shows up to the site when I was not home and sends me an email stating my concerns are correct and they would look into fixing them. Grading, excess dirt that was not taken away, which was part of the agreement, and pool equipment placement were some of the main issues.

Fast forward to one morning, steel crew showing up and agreeing that the pool was not excavated to the plans and was only 6 feet instead of the 7 feet. They sent one man with a shovel in 90 degree heat to dig it out, they told him 6 inches....LOL, try about 16 inches, when you account for concrete! The job continues with my construction manager telling lies about coming to the site, at no point did he come to my property. No permits were ever posted on the front of my house, I went online to double check that they were even pulled. I shot emails and he stated they were posted outside and must have blown away. I walk my property almost daily and have a yappy dog that barks at anything coming in the court. Someone is at my house almost all of the time, my wife and I work opposite shifts. I spoke with the construction manager again and he blows more smoke saying he came to the site and everything looked good, when I bring up concerns I have to explain to him the issues.

Ie the pool equipment raised up on a bed of rocks, 2 feet in the air, on plastic platforms. My pool equipment position was moved per their request because I wanted my pool equipment on a concrete slab. This issue was bought to their attention via email before conclusion of excavation. I called a halt to my job until we have a meeting on site, with the concrete subcontractors to plan my patio. The concrete sub states the grading is incorrect and they cannot build stairs behind the waterfall due to the current grading because it would slide down the hill. This would leave an unfinished area, where the construction manager states I should plant shrubs to block the unsightly, unfinished area and just deal with it. The concrete sub also stated the pool equipment was just wrong, actually we all just stared at it, where he tried to push the blame on the sales man as if he wasn't aware. He was in the email where my concerns were stated in July. We asked that if we couldn't get the stairs, that the area be finished using stone on the raised bond beam, the coping would have to be removed and redone to allow for the edge to over hang. This would be $1000, and the pool equipment needs to be moved, $500.

He tried to say we would have to pay for these things but no way am I paying for their mistake and the construction managers failed oversight. If we aren't getting the stairs, we ask that they finish the area with stone instead at no cost to us. The sales man came back out, again when we weren't present, between the two of them they were supposed to go to their higher ups and get back to us. Well its been a week since they came out, 2 weeks since any work has been done on my pool and not a single word from them. I called and spoke to the construction manager and he deferred to the sales man and the higher ups. More emails and again silence. When the issues started to add up, I've always sent emails but they stopped replying, only talking via phone. I've held payment, they are owed another 2 payments of $8k, total $16k.

My job was supposed to be done in about 2 weeks but we are only halfway, if that. I will post pics tomorrow!

My other concern is the blatant lies by my construction manager, I just don't trust the guy. When they shot the concrete, they stated to wet it down for 2 weeks and that no work could be completed in that time. About 10 days later the tile and coping guys show up. I stopped them and called the construction manager and he states he was on vacation (thanks for letting me know) and then proceeds to tell me enough time had past, 2 weeks is all we need. When I point out that it was only 10 days, he pauses and says it only needed 7 days. I sent emails for clarification on the instructions of wet down with no response from him. 2 days ago, one of the schedulers emailed me instructions about wet down....They were only a few weeks late!

I am steaming at this point because we are at a complete stand still. At this point, I will push them to get electric run so the concrete guys can come in and do their portion, just in case this situation turns for the worst. That way I could cut ties, and still have the leftover money to complete the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, these delays and shenanigans are more common than not. Just be sure they get everything right and don't focus on the time it's taking. "You can get it done fast or you can get it done right!"

:(

I deleted a couple of posts and would like to remind everyone that we are a pool website and not Face Book or a legal advice website..

Let's see if we can provide the OP some suggests how fix or proceed with his pool problems and not drift too far off the subject.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Please PM me the name of your builder, I'm right around the corner from you.

S,

That wall is not complete.. It should/will have tile or stucco coating... I am not sure what is going on with your pool builder, but I doubt the wall was designed to look like that in the original drawings.

Jim R.

S,

That wall is not complete.. It should/will have tile or stucco coating... I am not sure what is going on with your pool builder, but I doubt the wall was designed to look like that in the original drawings.

Jim R.
It was supposed to have concrete stairs next to it. During excavation I noticed an issue, I shot emails and calls, grading is off. The salesman came to my house, said yeah this is an issue, we ‘ll look into it. Pool build keeps moving, reassurances from their side that it looked good, from the construction manager. The subcontractor came 2 weeks ago and said “this won’t work”. My PB wants to leave it. Regardless they have to bring the coping guys out to fix the coping to “bull nose” or the edge coping, I have enough leftover stone on site to do it. My construction manager was trying to imply that it would be left unfinished, even spat off what plants would cover the area perfectly. Totally avoidable to me, zero cost from me had they done their job, back in July.

S,

So.. just to make sure we are on the same page... This website is made up of mostly pool owners that try to help each other based upon our own pool experiences.. We do have a few members that are in the pool construction industry, or have built their own pools.

Based upon that... what questions do you have for us? Keep in mind that there is nothing we can do that will help repair the relationship between you and your pool builder.

How can we help??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For my build it seemed to me that whatever was in the first iteration of the design is what the workers work off of. Many of my changes never made it to production even though they were done before they broke ground.

S,

So.. just to make sure we are on the same page... This website is made up of mostly pool owners that try to help each other based upon our own pool experiences.. We do have a few members that are in the pool construction industry, or have built their own pools.

Based upon that... what questions do you have for us? Keep in mind that there is nothing we can do that will help repair the relationship between you and your pool builder.

How can we help??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Venting....I’ve been doing a lot of reading. I personally don’t think my request are unreasonable. They told us a lot of changes could be made and most people make changes, which we really haven’t so it’s not like we are confusing them with all the changes and indecisiveness. We are straight forward and aren’t very picky but I refuse to settle for unfinished work. Timelines are out the window, just want it done right. If I don’t get a call early next week, I will start blowing up the office and maybe corporate. We just built my current home, and the home building process is worlds better, they weren’t perfect but I’m sure their load is way higher than my current PB.

I’ve received some very helpful links and responses via PM.

Last edited:
So it appears my pool is back on track. With some help of some forum members, we've finally worked through the issues. The relationship with the builder hit the bottom but it hopefully will get better. I lashed out via email, requested a site visit from the everyone and after seeing the actually site conditions, they made concessions. Not sure why it had to come to that but just want to get the job done. The weather looks like it will cooperate.

No, the retaining wall that you see, was apart of the plan. The retaining wall that we added afterwards is lumber and is only around the pool equipment. They ate the cost of the lumbar retaining wall vs moving the pool equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.