Not sure if my IG Spa jets should be blowing bubbles or not, how to check?

bmccarty

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
Sonoma, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is the next installment of my newbie pool owner questions. I recently purchased a home with and IG pool and attached spa with spillover. When I first started using the spa, in spa mode, none of the jets emitted bubbles. After several uses (days) one of the jets started emitting a small amount of bubbles.

So I read here about trying to unclog the venturi and I did that by using both a shop vac and an air compressor into the air intake pipe above ground.

That seemed to really fix the one sputtering jet but none of the other jets is bubbling.

A couple of pros have seen this and one said that all the jets should be bubbling and the other said that maybe the original builder only put in one bubbling jet and used a variety of other jet types presumably so there would be some variety for various peoples' preferences.

So how can I determine whether or not the various jets should be bubbling or not?

There are several types of jets, some with 2 holes that rotate (massaging?), some with one hole that is positionable but doesn't rotate, some with one hole that do rotate on their own. The one bubbling jet is one hole and rotates on it's own.

I've also tried adjusting the outer control ring to change the pressure on them without any more bubbles.

Thanks for your help!
Brad

If the jets have venturis, they should be bubbling.

There are several types of jets, some with 2 holes that rotate (massaging?), some with one hole that is positionable but doesn't rotate, some with one hole that do rotate on their own. The one bubbling jet is one hole and rotates on it's own.
Those are actually the exterior fitting for the jet. The jet nozzle lies behind those fittings and can be remove to flush out the lines. Trying to blow the debris backwards may not work very well. You need to remove the exterior fittings and then the jet nozzle using a long extension sock wrench. If you run the spa without the nozzles it may clear the debris.

If the jets have venturis, they should be bubbling.

Those are actually the exterior fitting for the jet. The jet nozzle lies behind those fittings and can be remove to flush out the lines. Trying to blow the debris backwards may not work very well. You need to remove the exterior fittings and then the jet nozzle using a long extension sock wrench. If you run the spa without the nozzles it may clear the debris.

Thanks very much. Sorry I didn’t see your response earlier.

If I remove the exterior fitting, how would I tell if there is a venturi or not, would I see a small narrowed opening vs a fully-open pipe?

Probably a dumb question, but can I do the steps you outline without first draining the spa below the jets?

Thanks again

It is a lot harder to take out the jets without draining the spa. But keep in mind you can drain the spa into the pool so you don't lose any water. You just have to put the return valve to the pool and suction to the spa.

Sounds like you have the waterway poly jets, you need to turn counterclockwise till it stops and the jet will have full pressure. If you keep turning same way you will unscrew internal fitting out of wall, where you can then turn on and hopefully clean any debri inside. Check each jet the same way and make sure by holding jet in hand and turning the face you can see the end opening and closing. Instruction Manuals

I got them all working! All I did was remove the exterior housing on all of them and run the spa with jets and apparently unclogged them. Great to see all 6 jets working.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Brad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.