Not seeing a chart on how much to put in to do various things??

it says to put in 84 lbs of soda ash which sounds heavily inflated. I'm assuming Borate is the Total chlorine/Bromine reading, and CYA equals Stabilizer reading?? Is CH asking for the water hardness reading? If not, I do not see that it is asking for that. thx

What are you trying to adjust with soda ash? Post your test results.
The OTO for chlorine/bromine is not used. You do not have any bromine unless you have added it to your pool.

Are you sure you're not confusing pounds with ounces? And like Marty said - what are your results and what are you trying to do with it?

I'm assuming Borate is the Total chlorine/Bromine reading,

Borates is a separate chemical. If you have not added it to your water then it is 0.

and CYA equals Stabilizer reading??

Yes, you view the dot in the tube to measure it. Round up. If the dot disappears between 40 and 30 you call it 40.

Is CH asking for the water hardness reading?

Yes, CH is calcium. It is one of the TF-100 tests.

What test kit do you have?

Your other thread say that you're using test strips. Test strips are not reliable and you should not trust them to give you accurate information.

What are all of the readings from a good test kit?

What is the history of the pool and the chemistry?

Your other thread says that you use tabs but the CYA is zero. The CYA won't be zero if you're using tabs. The CYA is probably super high.

Are you new to the pool or have you just not been testing the water?

Last edited:
It would really help to get an accurate reading for the CYA. Do you have any way to get that?

You really need to get a decent test kit if you want to get the chemistry under control.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All I can do is look at my test strip results. If CYA means Stabilizer then it seems to not even register. The beginning color of test strips is Low/0 and that is a washed out orangey/tan color, and mine comes out a bright yellow. Yellow isn't even on the color chart. (purple is the very high color) Say that it really is low, and pH is low. Wouldn't you put soda in it first? I am on my own with this pool and have to do what I can. thx

Without accurate measurements, you are going to be blindly dumping chems into the pool. If you are adjusting pH you need to at minimum know the current pH and total alkalinity.

Otherwise I guess you can keep adding a little at a time until you are satisfied....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.