Not ready to close pool, but can I cover and maintain it while covered for a few weeks?

CoolHome

Jun 6, 2020
Crawfordsville, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our weather has turned cool early this year in Indiana, and the pool is hardly getting used. Meanwhile the maintenance of it has gone up. The cooler, windier weather means that I'm having to clean out bugs and leaves multiple times a day to stay on top of it. Pretty thankless when it gets used maybe once a week. This is my first year with the pool, an 18' round AG frame pool. My husband wants to keep it up, so I need to look into what I'll need to do to close it properly but he's leaving Tuesday for a month and I don't have time to figure out what all we'll need to buy and do before then. I'd like to just put the cover that came with it on until he gets back so I don't have to keep cleaning it. Is it possible to keep it covered and still maintain it? I'm happy to check the levels and run the pump, I just don't want to have to clean it out three times a day and if we end up with an Indian Summer it might be nice to pull the cover off for one last hurrah. Can this be done? Can you run the pump and add chemicals with the cover on? Are there any problems with doing this?

I've got an 18' round AG in TN. We're still using ours and it stays pretty clean until the leaves start falling.

I've covered mine before and kept running the pump/ filter until the weather forecast called for a deep freeze just to keep it chlorinated and circulated longer. But this year, I'm exploring getting a leaf net and try tying it down while still using the pool and see how that goes. I can still use the net to put over the cover if I don't like it's performance as a stand alone. Over the cover is supposed to help in the Spring when removing.

Thanks for asking the experts this question. Brought up some things I hadn't thought of.

I've got an 18' round AG in TN. We're still using ours and it stays pretty clean until the leaves start falling.

I've covered mine before and kept running the pump/ filter until the weather forecast called for a deep freeze just to keep it chlorinated and circulated longer. But this year, I'm exploring getting a leaf net and try tying it down while still using the pool and see how that goes. I can still use the net to put over the cover if I don't like it's performance as a stand alone. Over the cover is supposed to help in the Spring when removing.

Thanks for asking the experts this question. Brought up some things I hadn't thought of.

Gregfsc - I've considered the leaf net too, though my biggest problem is bugs and I don't think it would help with that. I do think I'll likely get one for over the winter cover though that makes sense. you'll have to let me know if it works out for when pool is open. Next year I'm going to have to do a through the wall skimmer, I think that might help my bug problem more.

Gregfsc - I've considered the leaf net too, though my biggest problem is bugs and I don't think it would help with that. I do think I'll likely get one for over the winter cover though that makes sense. you'll have to let me know if it works out for when pool is open. Next year I'm going to have to do a through the wall skimmer, I think that might help my bug problem more.

Will do.

Reactions: CoolHome
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.