Not pool schooled on Dolphin diagnosis or fix

ivyleager

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 6, 2007
Raleigh-Durham,NC
I have an 5 year old Dolphin M400 that I purchased at my local pool store, was $175 over internet pricing at that time. I use them for some basic parts (baskets, poly60, brushes, and Taylor reagents.) I probably spend only a few hundred there each year. They know I use household products for most of my chemical needs and don't push back or seen annoyed by that.

Last year, robot wouldn't move after turning on initially. Resetting would MAYBE get it to work. I took it in and owner put it thru the startup and had it fixed in about 10 minutes; something in the swivel cord plastic connector. She didn't charge me, but I gave them $20 for their time. Has been working fine ever since.

Today, the robot would turn on, pivot, pivot, not move, shut off. Looked like only one track was turning. Again, I called my pool store, talked with the owner and she said it sounded line the active brush was not working. Told me to bring it in, she has parts in stock (individual bearing part and the whole brush with bearings.) When I looked at the active brush before bringing it in, it did seem that one side was locked up and not moving. Also, the brush itself was kind of shredded looking; it is 5 yrs old. Took in and she replaced the active brush, while talking about the process with young son who is learning about all things mechanical. Again, I paid for the part ($93.79, which is about 5-6 dollars over internet price.) No charge for labor. I gave the kid $20. Robot is now in my pool, working perfectly. She is going to call Maytronics on Monday and see if they'll refund the price of the part and consider it warranty. She said she has had them so do with units maybe a year or so outside of warranty. She wasn't optimistic but she sells a fair share of their products.

This is not the same service I get at another local store, who keeps trying to push phosphate remover on me...or calcium increaser...or tried to tell me my FC was too high (7.0); CYA 50.

Pool store relationships can be beneficial and time/cost effective IF you as a pool owner are knowledgeable. But it takes time. I was not so wise decades ago. It's a process for sure.

Last edited:
Sounds like you’ve got a good store there for equipment. (y)

Most folks get “pool stored” with chemicals. Glad you’ve got one that doesn’t give you grief for not doing things “their way”!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.